In this modern-day and age, there are several ways of earning money through the internet. And the best part is, most of them don’t require a professional qualification. Often, experience and creativity are all that matter.
If you are a student or are currently unemployed, or just want to create an alternate source of income, you can choose from a variety of methods available on the internet. However, most of these methods of earning money online are either illegitimate and gimmicky (such as MLM schemes) or low-paying and time-consuming (such as data entry). Because of these reasons, most people have a negative perception about earning an income online.
But what if we tell you that there is a legitimate way to earn a significant amount of money online and that too, without spending too much time? Doesn’t that sound too good to be true? Well, we’re talking about Affiliate Marketing, and believe us, it’s a great way to generate passive income if you take a little time to learn about it.
Through this post, allow us to introduce you to affiliate marketing and the top websites/programs to begin your marketing journey with.
First things first – What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a type of digital marketing, where you earn money in the form of commissions by promoting a company’s products or services. It basically means that you earn a percentage of the price of a sold product for marketing it on your blog, YouTube channel, or website. The general idea behind affiliate marketing is advertising other people’s products, which means you take care of the company’s marketing campaigns. Therefore, the company has to spend less on digital advertising since you are doing it for them. As a reward for your time and effort, the company pays you a commission when a customer buys a product or service through your affiliate link.
Affiliate marketing is a win-win for all involved parties. How it works can be understood through a simple example. Suppose you have a website where you write reviews about electronic gadgets like digital watches, phones, and other things. The review also includes a link so that the people reading your review can access the product’s purchase page. However, this link isn’t a simple hyperlink that can be copied and interlinked with the respective text. It’s a link that you, the marketer, get from the product vendor. Whenever a customer clicks on your affiliate link for the digital watch worth $32, they will be redirected to the product page, and if they decide to purchase the watch, you will earn $3.2 to $10 depending on the affiliate program (this varies from one to another).
Now isn’t that the easiest and cleanest way to make real money online? We know you’re tempted to start your very own affiliate marketing business. But before you do, you must know what steps you need to follow to become a successful affiliate marketer.
What does it Take to Become an Affiliate Marketer?
As mentioned before, affiliate marketing is not as time-consuming as some of the other jobs on the internet. But there are a few things that one should do before becoming an affiliate marketer:
- Learning about affiliate marketing – If you’re interested in trying out your luck with online product promotion, we suggest you educate yourself about affiliate marketing and the common tools and strategies used in the field.
- Be aware of products that sell well – Learning about the popular products in demand can help you get an upper hand in affiliate marketing. Besides, why would you promote something that no one wants to buy?
- Build a platform to promote affiliate products – You must have a means of promoting a product or service online so that you can reach a significant number of people. Most people use blog posts and websites to attach their affiliate links to, but you can also promote products using social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. In social media, you can easily attach links in video and image posts. You can find several tutorials online for how to accomplish this.
- Choose an affiliate program – There are multiple affiliate programs that you can be a part of, but each one is different. If you have a website of a particular niche, you may want to choose a provider that offers products related to that niche.
- Learn about advanced marketing – Search Engine Optimization (SEO) skills are a bonus if you’re into affiliate marketing, as your site can achieve better reach with SEO tactics and help you earn more money.
A quick look at the Benefits of Affiliate Marketing
Though the benefits of affiliate marketing should be self-evident through all the details given above, here we’ve summarized them for you:
- It helps you create a handsome passive income.
- It doesn’t take much time to learn and execute.
- You can scale it up pretty easily and also run multiple campaigns once you’re familiar with the ins and outs of the field.
Now that you have learnt a bit about affiliate marketing and its benefits, let us take a look at some popular affiliate providers that can help you get started with your first affiliate marketing campaign.
Top 5 Affiliate Websites
Before you rush to sign up with one of these websites, you should know that all affiliate programs conduct a thorough check of your website and the content in it before handing over affiliate links to their products. Make sure to review their eligibility criteria and check the minimum requirements before applying.
1. Amazon Associates
Amazon runs one of the most popular affiliate programs in the industry. It’s no secret that Amazon.com is a go-to destination for almost any consumer product. Their website contains almost all categories of products, which is why it is a great choice for an affiliate marketing program. Signing up to be an affiliate associate with Amazon is rather straightforward too, and you can earn some great commissions on sales for the platform.
- Amazon has a vast variety of products, which makes it a viable option for marketers who want to run multiple affiliate campaigns from the same domain.
- They give upwards of 8-10% on the sale of a product coming from your affiliate link.
- Any and all purchases that are made from clicking the affiliate link counts as affiliate revenue, even if customers didn’t buy the promoted product.
Note: The affiliate cookies expire after 24 hours, which means if a customer clicks on a link one day but purchases the promoted product after 24 hours, you won’t receive a commission on it.
2. eBay Partners
eBay is a globally renowned e-commerce platform, and one of the biggest affiliate-friendly websites that help users advertise and sell their products. The portal has a great database of products of all niches, which makes it a viable choice for most affiliate marketers. eBay Partners allows you to promote eBay user-listed products and services on your websites and earn a commission for the sales.
- eBay has a diverse group of items on sale, ranging from mass-produced products to unique items sourced from small-scale industries and individual sellers. The ability to promote any of your products is quite a nice feature for affiliate marketing businesses in smaller niches.
- The affiliate link is easy to use. Just share it via your website or social media page, and if a person purchases the promoted product through your link, then you earn the commission.
- eBay provides double commission for the first 3 months of the affiliate program.
- It provides great tech support and even facilitates multiple marketing models such as email marketing, social media marketing, and even loyalty and rewards.
Note: eBay’s commission rates are not the most attractive. They average at about 2.5-3% of the selling price.
3. Shopify Affiliate Program
Shopify is a leading e-commerce platform used by retailers to open online stores easily. In addition to allowing people to create their online stores within clicks, Shopify also lets them sell products from other vendors and earn commissions on them. You can also earn referral bonuses by promoting Shopify to other bloggers.
- Using Shopify’s affiliate program, you can make the first two months of the subscription fee which is up to $600 on standard plans, and upto $2000 on the enterprise plans.
- The platform is extremely easy to use and you can literally set up your online store within minutes.
- Shopify allows users to create their landing pages as well, so they don’t have to switch between different platforms.
Note: Although Shopify’s affiliate program pays well, your blog must be of a certain topic to be approved for it, and you will have to show whether Shopify can fulfill the needs of your readers.
4. ShareASale Affiliates
ShareASale is a merchant-centered marketplace, where affiliates can choose from the plethora of products to promote on their websites and social media pages. It is a trusted platform that’s enriched with features and timely updates.
- ShareASale offers you a variety of merchants to select from and a wide range of products from which to advertise.
- It is very easy to test out marketing strategies as there are no contracts.
- It supports multiple payout options. Digital payouts are not that common in affiliate websites, but ShareASale provides them alongside standard payment options.
- Although the platform isn’t as easy to use as the other affiliate sites, it makes up for it with the vast marketplace and ease of transaction.
Note: The user must understand the technical aspects of affiliate marketing before joining the affiliate program on ShareASale otherwise he may find it very difficult to use.
Clickbank is quite similar to ShareASale. It is essentially an affiliate marketer’s playground since it offers a diverse marketplace where you can work with different merchants and choose from a list of products to promote.
- Clickbank offers you a large selection of merchants working in different niches, so you should have no problem finding something to promote.
- The platform comprises visual sales graphs and other analytics tools. It has a smooth payment interface as well.
Note: The payment options supported by Clickbank have been reduced as compared to before, and some users may find that inconvenient.
To wrap it up
Hope this post gave you a good understanding of affiliate marketing and how you can start earning passively using it. These are some of the recommended affiliate programs as they have had positive feedback from multiple users. Depending on what you wish to promote online, we suggest you do thorough research about all these affiliate programs before choosing one that suits you.
People are also reading:
- What is Backlinking?
- What is Off Page SEO?
- Best Photographer WordPress Theme
- How to Reduce Image Size to Speed Up Your Website?
- Best Wireframe Tools
- Best Portfolio Websites
- Proven Tactics to Drive Traffic
- Best Wix Alternatives
- How to choose Best Website Builder?
- How to Find Out Who the Domain Owner Is?