Android Antivirus applications are the most popular and most used application among Android users. Usually, you do not need an antivirus application if you are careful while downloading the application from Google Play Store and enabling your smartphone security settings.
If you are the one who likes to walk on fire, then you need an antivirus application. So if you have an Android smartphone or tablet, you need to use the best Android antivirus application to protect your phone and tablet from spammy applications, viruses, and other malware.
Choosing the right antivirus application helps to detect and prevent malware attacks and, at the same time, offers amazing privacy and anti-theft features. Most of these antivirus applications have a free plan, while the others are entirely free.
Here in this post, we have explained in detail some of the best antivirus applications for your Android smartphones. So let us get started.
Need for Best Antivirus Android Applications
Although all the Android devices come equipped with safety features, your smartphone’s safety depends on how you use your mobile. Here are a few reasons why you need an antivirus application for your smartphone:
- Downloading Mobile Applications: Undoubtedly, your device is protected if you download applications from Google Play Store. However, if you are downloading applications from a third-party website then an antivirus application will keep your device safe and add an extra layer of security for the users.
- Storing Sensitive Information: If your phone has sensitive information like confidential emails, bank details, important passwords, and more, then losing this information might cost you a lot. However, installing an antivirus application on your Android smartphone will be helpful.
- Rooting Your Mobile Device: Many people love to root their mobile devices for various reasons. However, rooting your device increases the risk of data threat and makes your device less secure. So having an Android antivirus device can solve a lot of problems.
- If Your Device is Lost: If you feel your device might be stolen or lost and do not want anyone to access your device, the best thing you can do is use an Android antivirus application that will protect your data.
Factors to Consider While Choosing an Antivirus Application
Here are a few things you need to keep in mind while you are choosing an antivirus application for your device:
- Scanning and Detection Methods: The Antivirus application must offer real-time scanning and on-demand app discovery. The real-time scanner offered by the antivirus applications runs in the background and checks every application and file available on your device. Moreover, the on-demand scanner scans every file on your smartphone and checks for malware and other viruses.
- Effect on the Speed of Your Device: Many heavy-duty antivirus applications that run in the background might consume a lot of CPU resources, which reduces the speed of the entire device. While you are using the trial version of the antivirus application, check and make sure it does not affect your device’s performance.
- Ease of Removing Virus: You need to look into the antivirus application’s methods to remove the virus and malware from your devices. Here are some factors you need to look out for:
- A regular device scan to check if there are any viruses, spyware, worms, trojans, and more that might harm your device.
- An effective strategy to remove viruses from your device.
- If you are removing a virus from your device, then it should not harm your data.
- The application should block the suspicious data source.
- Compatible with Your Android Version: Whatever the Android antivirus application you choose, ensure it is compatible with your Android version. Most of the time, a specific version serves only a particular version of Android.
10 Best Antivirus Android Applications
Avira Antivirus application is a new antivirus app when compared to the other applications. Although it is new in the market, it has grown in the last few years.
Avira offers basic antivirus application features like device scanning, real-time protection, external SD card scan, and much more.
It also offers VPN that adds extra security to your smartphone. Additionally, the Avira antivirus application offers blacklisting, anti-theft features, device admin access, privacy scanning, and more.
Avira is a highly recommended application because it is lighter than other antivirus applications like Norton Security.
When talking about the plans it offers, the free plan offers only basic features. In contrast, the premium or the paid version offers three plans with a robust VPN, password generator, and more.
Avast Mobile Security is another most popular antivirus application with over 10 million users and comes with tons of features.
The basic features of the application include a classic antivirus scanner, call blocker, app lock, a photo vault, anti-theft support, and a firewall for all the rooted devices. So it is an excellent tool that offers some effective booster features. However, you need to avoid using them.
The free version of the application offers almost all the features but comes with ads. The premium version offers some added security, zero ads and comes with the best and most expensive VPN.
AVG is another best antivirus application for Android smartphones. Since AVAST took over AVG in 2016, it offers a similar user experience.
It scans, detects viruses, and removes them from your phone. AVG has an anti-theft tracking feature via Google Map. Unlike AVAST, AVG does not offer rooted firewall availability.
However, you need to avoid using additional features such as phone boosting because it does not work. The pricing and plans are similar to the AVAST antivirus application.
This application automatically scans for viruses on a daily, weekly, or on-demand basis. Moreover, AVG also allows you to detect malware or viruses before downloading the application. AVG also protects your device from SMS spam.
BitDefender Antivirus application is another best and free antivirus application that has remained the same for years now. The major features of BitDefender are that it offers a basic scanning feature, a simple, user-friendly interface, effective performance, and easy application configuration.
This application is the best for those who are looking for a simple and basic antivirus application. Moreover, this application is free to use and does not have any in-app purchases. However, it shows some advertisements while using the application.
5. Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus
Kaspersky is a paid and free antivirus application that offers SMS and call blocking, virus scans, protection from Trojans and malware, and more. However, the Kaspersky premium plan offers real-time data protection, app lock, and much more.
The best part about this application is that it does not offer unnecessary speed booster features. It is popular because this application focuses more on improving the existing features instead of expanding their applications.
Plus, the pricing is very budget-friendly if you want to secure one device only. However, the advanced features also allow you to connect 5-10 devices which can be pretty expensive.
6. Norton 360 Mobile Security
Norton Mobile Security for Android smartphones offers a bundle of unique and best features like the App advisor by the Norton Mobile Insights and vets apps that protect your device from all the risks and help you save your battery life.
This Android antivirus application is also known for the top-notch protection it offers to users.
Other features of Norton are call blocking that protects your device from spam calls, WiFi security that offers alerts when you connect to an unsecured wireless network, and an anti-theft feature that remotely locks stolen or lost devices and wipes all the data from your device.
The major drawback of Norton Mobile Security is that it is very pricey compared to the other antivirus application.
Malwarebytes is another popular antivirus application compatible with Windows OS. One of the best things about Malwarebytes is its updated virus database, extensive support for malware and ransomware, a permission tracker, and much more.
Additionally, it also scans WhatsApp, Facebook, and SMS messages for any spam or malicious links. Of course, it offers basic virus and malware scanning.
The app lock is very simple and has a very intuitive interface, and occupies significantly less space. Moreover, the monthly and yearly plans are quite affordable.
8. McAfee Mobile Security
McAfee is known as the oldest, largest, and heavy antivirus application that scans anti-theft, anti-spyware, and security locking features.
Moreover, it also clicks pictures of the person trying to unlock your phone, records locations before the phone reboots, and much more.
Moreover, McAfee offers many standalone applications for other things.
The major disadvantage of McAfee is that the user interface is outdated and does not look so good. Plus, the phone speed boosters do not work for the free version.
The basic paid plan offers photo and video backup, Internet protection, and an efficient app locker. The higher or, the costlier plan provides some added protection features like online banking.
9. Google Play Protect
Google Play Protect is an Android antivirus application that scans the application on your smartphone and then compares the Google Play version of that application. It also informs if both versions of the application are the same.
Google Play Protect, combined with the security offered by Google Play, offers extended security to your device. Moreover, this application is so powerful that it can protect your device from any viruses and malware.
Moreover, this application is free and is probably installed on your device. It also saves a lot of battery and space on your device because it runs only fewer apps in the background.
10. Sophos Intercept X For Mobile
Sophos Intercept X for Mobiles is a favorite antivirus and antimalware application for Android smartphones. It offers some basic and effective antivirus features such as malware protection, web filtering, app protection, virus scanner, WiFi security, and more.
Moreover, it is free to use, does not show pop-up ads, and has a speed booster function that does not work. It offers a password-safe function compatible with KeePass and has an authenticator feature that offers multi-factor authentication.
Antivirus applications for Android are very popular among smartphone users. Although, you do not need an antivirus application if you are very cautious about what you download. You should review and then download any application from the Google Play Store. Moreover, you should also enable the smartphone security settings and avoid downloading applications from unknown third-party sites.
To keep your information safe and your device secured, you need to choose the best Android antivirus applications that will protect your phone and tablet from malicious applications, viruses, and other malware.