cPanel hosting is the most widely used hosting control panel. Being available at pocket-friendly pricing is the major reason for its preference. But do you know there are better C-panel alternatives that can help you overcome its limitations? Actually, there are plenty. In this article, we are going to discuss 12 of these.
Most people make the wrong decision of going for C-Panel Hosting even though it doesn’t fulfill all their requirements, just because it costs them less. But you must always prefer a hosting panel that is able to fulfill all your needs. This article will detail the 12 best cPanel alternatives that you can go for.
What is cPanel?
C-Panel is a Linux-based hosting control panel. It is accompanied by a GUI and a mechanism that aids in simplifying the hosting management system. Also, it is associated with the hosting management panel as it plays a role in making the technical management system of hosting servers easier and user-friendly.
cPanel can be stated as the one-stop solution for hosting service management. It can provide an efficient solution for hosting and managing servers. Despite being a powerful hosting control panel, it has limitations. These are discussed in the section up ahead.
What is the problem with C-panel? Why look for cPanel alternatives?
To new start-ups and beginners, starting out with C-panel may seem a very good – sensible – choice. Experienced users with enough technical knowledge, however, are not so comfortable working with it as it has some concerning issues. Important ones of these are listed below:
C-panel has been continuously releasing several updates for its services. Still there exists so many complaints concerning the usage of the same. Moreover, there is a good probability of data loss and overwriting of settings, which may seriously affect the working of your business, and in worst cases, the money involved.
Seemingly Inflexible Flexibility
Users are not very satisfied with the flexibility of cPanel for managing web hosting. Moreover, there isn’t much scope in changing the default settings to streamline the hosting arrangements.
C-panel offers a non-standard programming stack for launching the server and management. For better results, the stack should be upgraded for each specific platform. For example, a Magento store requires a standard Magento stack for better application performance and stability.
cPanel accompanies a lot of pre-packaged components, for example, file management, security, database, and email and automation management.
In any case, exploring these parts and the numerous screens can occupy a great deal of time for even the simplest and easy assignments. That is one reason site proprietors search for cPanel substitutes to steer away from these problems.
Oversimplified Platform and Interface for Seasoned Users
No doubt, cPanel’s GUI is ideal for start-ups and beginners. It is easy to comprehend and get started quickly. But this GUI is inefficient for experienced users who need continuous information and data which can help in settling on snappy yet significant choices.
Likewise, for clients who are searching for a handy solution, diving into the different screens can regularly be an immense waste of time.
Limited Access and Functions
cPanel permits you to deal with the basic hosting functionalities which aren’t exactly enough for experienced users because of the prerequisites for the various server tasks.
Another factor that causes individuals to search for cPanel replacement is infamous server optimizing choices, such as management of cache. Also, you will not get server scaling with cPanel.
Error Log and Identification of Problem
Server and hosting issues can happen because of different reasons, such as server scalability, data set connectivity, and plugin conflicts. cPanel makes it somewhat difficult to detect if things have turned out badly as well as to get the data about the issue.
Above all else, there is no popup notification/alert about such blunders. Consequently, accessing and perusing the logs can end up being a genuine challenge.
cPanel acts as a central layer between the hosting equipment and the client. While this central layer makes hosting management simple and easy there are, then again, various security concerns that hackers can leverage to attack your site.
This is a significant issue for e-commerce stores that handle sensitive financial data of their customers. For such stores, cPanel hosting isn’t a viable option.
12 Best cPanel Alternatives
So now that you know why you must consider a cPanel alternative, it’s time to discuss what options you can look up to. Although cPanel is a good option for managing small scale start-ups and hosting servers, the trade-offs you need to make are not worthy.
Moreover, open-source C-Panel helps in easily managing and maintaining several different databases and virtual servers. Some examples of them are FTP,SQL, BIND, DNS, Database and Virtual Servers. It varies with your choice of server and database.
These are the 12 best cPanel alternatives that you can choose from:
Plesk vs. cPanel is a topic that garners endless debate. Fanboys and tech forums have rigorously checked out the features as well as GUI of both services in order to make the best pick. Despite all this, Plesk and cPanel compare neck-to-neck.
Nonetheless, the real advantage you will get with Plesk over cPanel is support for the immensely popular containerization platform Docker and the reputed VCS Git on Linux. Also, Plesk provides support for both Linux and Windows.
Features of Plesk
- You can run Plesk on a range of Linux distributions, including Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CloudLinux, and Virtuozzo Linux.
- Offers easy SSL integration, which is a desirable feature for developers. Plesk deals with acquiring an SSL certificate from Let’s Encrypt and coordinating it into your destination sites.
- WordPress clients can benefit from regular self-updates, bug fixes, and patches. As such, Plesk deals with the greater part of your WordPress security needs.
- Domain management – You can easily manage your domains and relative settings on Plesk.
- File management procedures – It provides ease in uploading files, managing them, and maintaining regular backups.
- Email management – You can set up your email accounts and easily manage them all. Also, you get to access webmail.
- Database management – Setting up databases on Plesk is very easy to manage.
- Suffers from a few security issues.
- A major disadvantage of Plesk is its demand for huge server space to build the backup.
Another C-Panel alternative that offers a rich feature set, as well as a simple interface, is Webmin. The thing which makes Webmin special is being available for free.
Nonetheless, the hosting control panel is not considered user-friendly. Although the interface has many good features, like you can set up user accounts via updated browsers and it provides various tools to aid you with the process. Still, it lacks many of the desired features, like it lacks scalability, and efficiency for managing heavy and loaded databases.
Features of Webmin
- You can easily set up user accounts, Apache Server, DNS, etc. with the help of an up-to-date browser.
- Helps in eliminating your manual effort to edit the Unix Configuration files, like /etc/passwd.
- Free and open-source.
- On installing Webmin you will find plenty of tools out of the box to assist you with your work.
- You can easily access some of the best backup tools to help you keep your files safe.
- Regular updates and bug fixes.
- Lacks scalability.
- You will need to login separately into each different server of a single interface and cannot access it at a single time. If you really are not problematic with it, then Webadmin can be a perfect choice for you.
- Also, you will not be able to manage bigger and heavier databases load. If you are an emerging company and are getting more work than you imagined. It at some point lacks efficiency to manage them exactly without any challenges.
- Unsuitable for those requiring scaling up the management to a high degree of professionalism.
Froxlor is another open-source cPanel alternative that is best for developers aiming for higher flexibility. It is preferred by agencies demanding a simple interface for proper management of their hosting solutions.
Features of Froxlor
- Advanced SSL – Figures out which ports should utilize SSL. Also, it permits clients to store certificates per domain.
- PHP Configuration – You can determine distinctive PHP designs and you have choice to pick up per domain which php.ini ought to be utilized (FCGI/FPM being the only option).
- Theme Interface – You can style Froxlor by overwriting the premise CSS or develop a completely new theme interface from scratch.
- Allows creating tickets that the website owners might use to respond.
- Also, you can respond from the same platform you are using, thus reducing the hassle remarkably.
- Free and open-source.
- Absence of documentation and web support.
4. CentOS Web Panel
It is a free web hosting control board intended for speedy and simple administration of – Dedicated and VPS – servers. CentOS Web Panel reduces the task and exertion to utilize SSH support for each time you need to accomplish a task.
Features of CentOS Web Panel
- Apache Web Server (Mod Security + Automatically updated rules optional).
- CSF (Config Server Firewall).
- FreeDNS Server.
- Live Monitoring.
- Has the auto-fix feature, which helps in detecting issues with the configuration files and records. This feature also tries to apply fixes for issues found.
- Available free of cost.
- Receives regular updates.
- Complex than other hosting control panels.
- Can be a bit confusing for beginners.
5. Z panel
Z panel is one more C-Panel alternative solutions which provide C-panel style features on Linux based operating system, windows, as well as OSX, severs.
Features of ZPanel:
- Email features like mailboxes, forwarders, and webmail.
- Permission management.
- Cron manager.
- Available for free.
- Available for both Linux as well as Windows.
- You must be aware of some recent security issues reported by ZPanel as it doesn’t encrypt the data. Hence, it is advisable to not to go for it, especially if you have an e-commerce store.
Ajenti’s interface is best for site owners who already have their website hosted on other servers and want to reconfigure the complete data to another server. This Cpanel alternative corresponds to the latest and current configurations used for managing our database and servers. Also, it makes the needed changes and adjustments without affecting or generating issues in server management.
Features of Ajenti
- Easy web hosting – It is relatively easy and simple to use.
- Language support – available in several different languages.
- Mail-Programmed design of Exim 4 and Courier IMAP, including virtual messages, DKIM, DMARC, and SPF.
- CLI interface – Comes with a simplified and efficient command-line interface.
- Best for servers loaded on another server.
- Quite easy to utilize and set up.
- Available free of cost.
- Premium features are expensive.
7. Vesta Control Panel
Vesta Control Panel offers an attractive and easy to use interface that disentangles server monitoring systems. It generates and gives data via graphs that are easy to read. Though the standard highlights are like cPanel, you need to pay to enjoy the service.
Features of Vesta Control Panel
- Supports numerous keyboard shortcuts.
- Has a built-in firewall that deals with all common issues.
- The web hosting panel has a built-in website analytics system that gives out visitor information, as pages visited, hits, and the number of visits.
- Allows you to work from the terminal.
- You can integrate it with the backup system.
- Multiple servers from one control panel management.
- Can manage emails and a DNS.
- Has FTP administration.
- No High extensibility with Python.
- No Authentication of LDAP and 2-factor.
- Firewall unavailable.
- No website statistics.
Evidence of ISPConfig being an in-demand platform is its 40k+ downloads in just a single month. The web hosting offers features that are similar to other cPanel alternatives. There is, however, one distinguishing factor in it. ISPConfig can manage many servers, that too from a single location.
Features of ISPConfig
- You can manage one or more servers from one control panel.
- Supports a range of Linux distributions, including Debian, Ubuntu, and CentOS.
- You can access the control panel via 3 access levels, namely server administrator, reseller, and webmaster.
- Supports HTTP, SMTP, POP3/IMAP, and FTP.
- Allows you to manage websites, email accounts, and DNS.
- Lightweight. Requires fewer server resources.
- Support for virtualization.
- Better Linux support.
- Not mature from the perspective of data migration.
- Difficult setup.
- No support besides the user manual.
YunoHost focuses on the administration and easy management of a server. It is a copylefted libre programming project kept up solely by volunteers.
Features of YunoHost
- You will discover just various officially-upheld “applications” for introducing different projects, such as Baikal, Nextcloud, WordPress, and Zerobin.
- Officially supports Debian 8.
- Coded essentially in Python under an open-source GPL license. The code is accessible on GitHub.
- Visualizes itself as “ the server operating system which aims to offer self-hosting available for everyone.”
- An incredible free cPanel alternative for start-ups to self-host users who simply need to begin with the basics quickly.
- Manual configuration of the internet bo is required. Also, it might be limited by your ISP.
- You need to buy the monthly subscription in case of using a VPN.
- For using a remote server, you will be required to pay for the services. Moreover, you wouldn’t get manual control for your server.
BlueOnyx is a free cPanel alternative and a coordinated web hosting solution. Inclusions are e-mail, DNS, file transfer, and internet services.
Features of BlueOnyx
- Offers a simple online interface that is introduced on a virtual private server or commodity equipment.
- Comes with support for Apache, sending mails, i.e. email routing facility, MariaDB or MySQL, Mailman software, etc.
- You can run Perl and SSI (Server-Side Include) with it.
- Permits affiliates to create virtual destinations.
- Upholds HTTP/2.
- Not much web support or product reviews available to make an informed decision.
aaPanel is an internet website hosting control panel that operates on CentOS, Debian, and Ubuntu.
Features of Aapanel
- You can manage the web servers through the internet-based GUI.
- Enables you to make and manage your website very easily and effectively.
- Gives FTP (File Transfer Protocol) for site access and quickly deals with the Python projects utilizing an online aaPanel editor.
- Open-source and free of cost.
- Highly customizable.
- Simple to use.
- Stable control panel. Takes much less time to set up the server.
- Plagued by the same issues that exist in the cPanel.
Moving to a cPanel alternative that offers comparable highlights and comes with similar faults doesn’t go along with the usual business sense. A good decision would be a solution and service that offers comparative features and no other challenges that force individuals to search for cPanel alternatives further.
12. Managed Hosting (Optimal C-Panel Alternative)
Managed hosting is also a good option and alternative to cPanel-powered hosting. It is also determined by many factors.
Features of Managed Hosting
With regards to choosing managed hosting providers for your e-commerce store, it is best to pick the hosting service that is not only optimized but also recommended for your chosen task. For instance, in case you have a Magento store, a Magento optimized and recommended managed hosting provider can do incredible things for your business.
Numerous individuals consider a dedicated server/VPS as the best cPanel alternative. It is thought to be a good choice for businesses. Moreover, the e-commerce store can use and optimize all the resources of a physical server available to you.
Nonetheless, if things go the other way round, moving the store to another server takes time that can significantly harm your income and brand reputation.
- You needn’t bother with a great deal of technical information for dealing with your servers.
- Deals with all server management system undertakings without taking up much of your time.
- The offered services eliminate numerous issues that disappoint cPanel clients.
- Detailed information analytics is a significant necessity for running an e-commerce store. It is a significant factor why e-commerce storekeepers search out the best cPanel alternatives. Managed hosting providers have a dedicated reporting highlight that offers an abundance of data to the clients along with its effective management.
- Doesn’t permit any user to access any type of files without consent. Even if it is you, the owner.
- Lacks a bit in respect to security.
- Not pocket-friendly.
These disadvantages can be minimized with a cloud-based hosting solution. In cloud hosting, resources are categorized over the cloud.
As you are now familiar with the issues concerning cPanel, you can now get insights regarding the efficient management of cloud hosting which takes care of the same.
- Managed cloud hosting usually offers to host solutions that are SSD-based and are, thus, meant for better performance.
- Also, many cache management options (FPC, Varnish, Memcached, and Redis) for improving the page loading speed of a site comes along with the server.
- The bundle also includes top-notch technologies like Apache, NGINX, PHP-FPM, and MySQL/Maria DB. They are for improving the response time of the site.
- Furthermore, integration with CDN is there which is a simple system to ensure good performance for improved results. This is usually irrespective of the region of the data center and also the server.
- Managed cloud hosting is accompanied by firewalls for continuous security.
- Click-free SSL installation is also a good security measure. It eases and ensures the server’s security.
- Usually, servers can do auto-healing which helps in eliminating any minor issues in the interface.
- You can straightforwardly get access to your server’s management system via the IP whitelisting procedure.
- FA is another addition to the already maintained high-security for your server’s account.
cPanel is a decent choice for beginners to get started quickly. However, as the experience increases, users need cPanel alternatives that are better, and more powerful, than cPanel.
To make your web hosting panel better, you can opt for any of the cPanel alternatives mentioned above. Managed hosting is a popular choice that eliminates all the issues of server management pertaining to web hosting panels.