Whether you have interesting content and excellent navigation, and everything that benefits your product branding, if your content or CTA does not attract more customers, there is something wrong with your website’s design. Have you ever considered the role of fonts you use within your website? Some content has an efficient impact when written in bold or another font. Whether you understand it or not, typography matters a lot if you run an online business. So you must do it right.
If you have a reputed place in the market and have enough budget, you can spend on creating customized typefaces that help you create an impact compared to others. But, you might have seen that most businesses are going for customized typefaces for commercial use. But if you do not have enough budget and are starting fresh, you can go for Google fonts to establish your brand in the market and speed up the website’s performance.
If you are new to Google fonts, then you must go through this article to go into depth about what fonts are, how they help in branding, why they are an essential element of UI, why choose Google fonts, what features to look in the Google fonts, and some commonly used Google fonts in the market.
What Makes Font Important?
If you plan to create a website, you can settle for the default font but it might have some weightage and be less effective in attracting potential customers. Most people just care about the text as they provide information. Thus, you need to align your text with the graphics. Using appropriate fonts gives a professional look and feel to the website. Below are some reasons that make the font more critical.
1. Acts as a medium of communication
Every website’s purpose is different, and the user might determine that purpose by looking at the typography itself. Suppose a website is about art, then its typography should reflect art. The proper arrangement of the content, fonts, colors and other details should allow the user to communicate with the product.
2. Attracts potential customers
The primary purpose of using different typography is to select the correct font that blends well with your brand. Make sure that you use a clear font that is big enough to catch people’s attention. To present well, your font should be visible and readable. Font adds value to your brand, making your website more attractive. Customers will be tempted to visit your website and know more about your brand and what you stand for.
3. Helps with branding
Having the right font type and size will make a difference while branding. Using font will convey non-verbal communication to your customers. Before the content, it’s the look and feel of the website that attracts the most. People act immediately to visual clues and tend to remember them longer. If you choose the right font, you will convey your brand’s value effectively. If your font does not match the brand, it will disconnect the customers. From a UI perspective, fonts are the key elements in improving the customer’s overall experience.
4. Reflects professionalism
Everything needs to be perfect and work seamlessly to make your website professional. You do not want your website to be ignored just because the font does not make sense as per your brand. UI designers invest significant effort in deciding which font type and size blends well with the brand and the content. You need to maintain professionalism while deciding on the font. It should complement your brand. If not, you must look at other font options to get optimum leads.
5. Maintains harmony
You can use any font type on your website. But make sure that you use the same type of font with similar content to create harmony and maintain continuity. It will make the readers connected to the content and help them go with the flow. If you do not maintain harmony, the readers will feel disconnected and lose interest in your content.
What are Google Fonts?
If you want to bring personality and high-end performance to your website, you can seamlessly use Google fonts. In 2010, Google font came into the market to make the web more advanced and make it faster than ever. It offers you a wide range of free fonts for commercial and personal use. It comes with a catalog of open-source fonts that can be integrated easily, irrespective of your geographical location.
You can quickly access the Google Fonts website to choose the fonts as per your project requirement. Google Fonts collaborates with type designers, type foundries, and the design community across the globe. These people design the fonts and make them available on Google Fonts. Łukasz Dziedzic is an independent typeface designer who created the popular typeface Lato. Besides, you will find fonts that suit different business needs. Being open-source, anyone can leverage a wide range of beautiful typography. Google Fonts handle all the licensing and hosting work for you, ensuring you can seamlessly access each font version.
Google Fonts generates files for each font and delivers them to your system. If the file is large, they compress it, making the web faster.
Advantages of Using Google Fonts on Your Website
Google Fonts offers more than 900 unique fonts freely available on its website. You only have to include that font in your HTML code, and you can see the difference yourself. There are several benefits of using Google fonts within your website. Let’s take a look.
- It helps improve the website’s look and feel without paying a dime.
- You can access several fonts freely and choose any font as per your choice.
- It reflects professionalism once used on your website.
- It helps in boosting consistency across platforms.
- It is supported by almost all web browsers, such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Opera, IE, etc.
- It helps in speeding the performance of your website.
- You can easily download the typefaces and print them as well.
- You can easily embed these fonts irrespective of what designing platform you are using without any issue.
- It allows you to set the limit to the character set to save the loading time.
Disadvantages of Using Google Fonts
Despite its numerous benefits, you can still face some issues due to many reasons. We have mentioned some of the disadvantages below to consider before you use Google fonts.
- As typefaces are widely used, using them to create your brand typography might not be a good option.
- Most businesses are now moving toward using Google fonts, which means all the businesses will use the same font leaving no difference.
- You can use some typefaces in specific weights and styles, not allowing you to change them according to your requirements.
- Typefaces might not always work as expected.
- A few years ago, loading fonts was cumbersome, it might get fixed now, but you can still face them in some scenarios.
- These fonts are not your machine servers, so you might face difficulty showing your website to your clients offline.
What to Look For in a Google Font?
Fonts help your website reflect its brand’s personality. So you need to invest time while choosing the right font for your brand that can tell people what the brand means. So while designing a website, you need to take special care of what font will go well on your website. Typography can either make your brand or break it.
But if you conduct A/b testing on your typography elements, you will see how people act positively to a good typography style. It might not be of much concern for the regular user, but it makes a significant difference for an owner. Every minute detail is essential. Thus, they put effort into making everything perfect.
Several vital factors help you to choose the right font for your business. We have mentioned some of those factors below that you should consider for creating a beautiful user experience.
- Fits your brand– As discussed, font reflects the brand’s personality. Thus, it needs to complement your brand. Choosing an off font will disconnect the readers. For example, if your website is about cooking, the font should tell itself. You can consider the below image for a better understanding.
- Readability– Next crucial factor is readability. Whatever typography you choose must be visible, clear, and readable from a distance. In the below image, nothing is clear even though we have an image to tell us about the brand. If the users cannot read it, they will leave to go through the website without any curiosity.
- Font classification– Though there are thousands of fonts available for different purposes. You must know this classification for a better display of your website. You need to know which font is suitable for what type of website. Five main font types are serif, sans-serif, script, monospace, and decorative. You can simply use the script or serif font for elegant websites, while you can use the monospace fonts for tech sites.
- Mood and intent– Every website has a different look and feel. UI designers should understand and use the font type that makes this difference. They should design the font type based on the mood of the website and how they can use them to reflect this difference. You can see the below example, where the font sets the artistic mood.
Below, the font type sets the comic mood.
Best Google Fonts for Your Website
We might not cover the thousands of fonts here as they are all equally impressive in different ways. We have mentioned some of the commonly used fonts preferred by people and organizations.
It was created by the Warsaw-based designer, Łukasz Dziedzic. It belongs to the sans serif typeface family that is familiar and different simultaneously, especially in how some of the font’s details are rounded off. You can include it in your work transparently to be used in body text. It works well individually when used in larger-sized titles.
This Google font works well for elegant websites due to its rounded shapes and soft edges. Abhaya Libre is an excellent option for dramatic header font while maintaining perfect readability even when used in large bodies. But it might not be the best option for long paragraphs in tiny bodies, making it tiring for the eye after a while.
Eben Sorkin designed the Merriweather, especially for optimal readability on screens. Merriweather has a large x-height that boosts the font’s legibility, making it suitable for long texts, headlines, and titles. Merriweather comes in eight different styles: Light, Regular, Bold, Black, Light Italic, Italic, Bold Italic, and Black Italic.
This Google font is very versatile and makes you remember the old-time printing. Not surprisingly, this typeface ensures good readability even for long texts, whether used in large or small bodies. Alegreya comes in different styles, making it a many-faced font covering Regular 400 to 800 bold black styles.
Montserrat reflects the beauty of urban typography, taking you back to the first half of the twentieth century. This is one of the most attractive sans serif font families introduced by Julieta Ulanovsky and is named after the Montserrat neighborhood in Buenos Aires, where she lives. In 2011, this font was invented out of a Kickstarter project.
Each example creates its variants in length, width, and height proportions. You cannot replace the old typographies and canopies, resulting in a modern classic, an up-to-date version of the elegance of early 20th-century typesets.
This font belongs to the serif typeface making it perfect for the modern experience and its classic usability standards. It was created similar to another Google font – Lato. It is well-balanced and modern, offering semi-rounded shapes and curves.
Muli is a versatile font belonging to the sans-serif family designed by the late Vernon Adams. Initially, it was used as a display font due to its readable spacing, and it also works well as a text font. You can use it for web and mobile applications.
Arapey does not come in many different styles, still, it is considered a fantastic Google font. This typeface has a modern structure and soft lines, making it the best to highlight content. Most designers love this font due to its italic style, which is gentle and adds a glamor touch to any content.
It is another creation of the great Vernon Adams. Nunito is a sans-serif font that is specially designed as a display font. It comes with eight different weights, making it a versatile, attractive font that we’d recommend for creating an intelligent, stylish sans-serif heading.
ASAP Condensed offers eight different and unique styles, including semi-bold, and bold, along with their respective italics. It is a handy Google font as it has standardized character width. You can effortlessly change these styles without even adjusting the text. It is one of the good condensed typefaces suitable for headers and titles.
Initially, it was designed for newspapers and tabloids. Brawler is a classic example of fonts maintaining an old-school style to still keep the readers engaged. It has sharp edges and a sturdy feel, suitable for adding an elegant touch to any design. It might not offer different styles, but it is still a wonderful font to impact the user significantly. It has a weightage over other fonts as it offers excellent readability even in small bodies.
Created by Google, Roboto is one of the most downloaded fonts due to its clean, stylish, and smart looks. Not only this, it provides a professional look and feel. Roboto is the default font available for Android and Chrome OS. Roboto is simple, friendly, and highly readable for web and mobile use.
Invented by Cambo, Caladea is another option for a modern and friendly Google font. The font comes in four different styles. Caladea is practical, and you can use it to highlight content and offer reliable readability. Caladea works well for both big and dramatic titles and small texts without overwhelming the readers.
If you want to apply to a completely different website, you must consider Rokkitt. Vernon Adams, another addition, designed it. Rokkitt was inspired by the ‘Egyptian’ geometric slab serif fonts that take you back to the mid-nineteenth century. It works amazingly for display purposes, and text uses.
Carme is a Google font offering clean visuals with dramatic effects. It is designed specifically for long text paragraphs. You can use Carme where you want more than written content. It does not offer any style, but the bold one will soon be released.
Rubik is a sans serif font introduced by Philipp Hubert and Sebastian Fischer at Hubert Fischer. A Hebrew variant, Rubik can simply be used for display or text use. Rubik has rounded corners, making it a pleasant, friendly option.
Encode Sans Serif Condensed
You can use Encode Sans Serif Condensed for big and dramatic headers to highlight content. The font comes in various styles, from Thin 100 to Black 900, making it a practical font to have at hand.
Step-by-Step Guide to Use Google Fonts
You can follow the below steps to add the Google fonts to your text and content.
Navigate to the Google Fonts website
Visit the Google Fonts website to choose from its range of 853 font families and more. You can check the new fonts on its “featured” page. You can filter the categories in font style, language, popularity, and weight.
Look for the font of your choice.
If you have any specific font in mind, you can look for it on the website below.
1. Click “+” to use the chosen font
You can see that each font family has a plus button available in the upper right-hand corner. Click the plus button to add that font family to the “selection drawer” available at the bottom of the screen. You can see that in the below image.
- If you want to add more fonts to the selection drawer, you must repeat steps 1 to 3 in the same order.
- To check all the selected font families, you can open the selection drawer. While adding the font to your website, look for this folder. You can even use its download option and save the font to your desktop, as shown below.
- Grab the code from the “selection drawer” and copy/paste it to your website’s HTML and CSS code. You can simply copy the code and paste it to the website to add the font. The Google fonts will only work for your website if you have the font family linked to the Google Fonts API within your HTML and specify the font family in the CSS.
- You can simply add different font weights and styles by clicking the “customize” tab. Ensure that you only add the font weights and styles that you might require, as adding more styles and weights will make your website slower to load. It is the last chance to add different font weights and styles to your selected font families before adding them to your website.
- Now is the time to copy the HTML code and paste it into your website’s <head> section. For this, you need to copy the HTML link into the head of your HTML doc.
- Finally, copy and paste the CSS rules into your CSS file. If you’re adding one Google Font for your website, you also have to add the CSS font-family rules into your body tag. Otherwise, you will need to make sure that you add it to the correct elements in your CSS files.
- Now, save both files (HTML and CSS) and remember to refresh your website to make the changes visible to your readers.
Refreshing will again load your local files, and you should see the new font family.
Google fonts are unique to improve the readability and performance of your website. They give a professional look and feel to your website that no reader can avoid. They keep the readers engaged with its dominant styles. It helps the readers to understand what the brand is about. Google fonts create a significant difference when applied to different types of websites.
Google Fonts offers a wide range of open-source fonts to choose from. In this article, we have mentioned several commonly used fonts offered by Google. You can even style them as per your requirement. Also, included are simple steps to add those fonts to your website. Go through this simple read and make a difference to your website’s performance.