Browsing the internet with a web browser results in constant exposure of personal information such as browsing history and IP address. Even the big and most reliable platforms such as Google and YouTube capture user data. Just imagine the various malicious websites over the internet that also collect user data and use it in whatever way they want. Therefore, using an unprotected browser directly implies the exposure of your information.
To save from this, various users utilize VPN Chrome extensions for encrypting the browser traffic and restricting the submission of personal data to third parties. Along with securing the data, these extensions hide the IP location and allow users to access the geo-blocked content by bypassing the barriers from anywhere in the globe. However, it is also important to assess whether you’ve selected the right VPN Chrome extension or not. So, before selecting one, ensure to check a few factors such as level of vulnerability, leakage of information, WebRTC blocking, etc. This article discusses the 10 best Chrome extensions that you can use to ensure a safe web browsing experience.
What is VPN?
VPN is an acronym for “Virtual Private Network” that efficiently helps users to achieve and establish a protected network connection and surf the internet anonymously. They mask the IP address and online identity to make it nearly impossible for third parties or hackers to get the personal information of users or capture their valuable data.
A VPN also runs the encryption process in real-time using a configured remote server managed by the VPN host. VPNs use those remote servers to send data requests to web servers for accessing web content on behalf of the browsers (users). This also prevents ISPs or Internet Service Providers from tracking the activities of a user on the web.
Why Chrome Extension?
Having a Chrome extension for VPN allows users to have a quick and easy way to access a VPN service. With a single click, users can hide their IP and change the location along with encrypting all of their data processing on the web browser in real-time. VPN Chrome extensions have got a lot of traction in recent years to eliminate safety and privacy issues.
Here are some reasons that signify the benefits of using a VPN Chrome extension:
1. Break geo-location barriers instantly
If your country has banned specific content that you want to access for some reason, you just have to simply click on the top-right side of your browser and click on the VPN browser extension. It will help you get anonymous and change your location to any other country and then access the same data without any restrictions.
For downloading a VPN on your computer, you must have to go through a long process of downloading, configuring, and then opening the app every time you want to activate it. However, that’s not the case with browser extensions because they can be installed within the Chrome browser and can be accessed easily.
3. Surfing privately
As explained earlier, websites over the internet secretly capture or steal tons of user data via cookies or other hidden practices. If users connect to the web with a VPN, their privacy will be preserved, and using VPN services via extension makes the process even more fast and convenient.
10 Best VPN Chrome Extensions to use in 2022
It is a widely popular and most reliable VPN that requires users to have their native VPN app downloaded on the device. After downloading, users can configure and then add the VPN Chrome extension that will be managed by ExpressVPN. Their free VPN Chrome extension helps in routing the traffic through their network for masking crucial information such as location, IP address, browsing history, etc.
ExpressVPN has one of the largest global networks that is instantly accessed through its Chrome extension. Also, users will be redirected to the secure HTTPS versions of websites only which ensures a secure browsing experience.
- Offers WebRTC blocking along with zero DNS leaks
- Comes with a kill switch to always save the data even in the case of emergency
- Provides AES 256-BIT Encryption with split tunneling feature
- 24*7 professional support
- Features an easy-to-use user interface that is available in various languages
NordVPN only offers a paid version of their Chrome extension. Users are first required to set up an account along with purchasing their paid plan. It comes with various out-of-the-box features such as CyberSec features for blocking advertisements along with saving users against malicious activities on the web. Getting started with its extension is extremely simple because it has an intuitive user interface.
- It allows users to enter various online and prohibited streaming services
- Comes with an automatic kill switch feature along with robust DNS leak protection
- Offers a complete dedicated IP address to the users
Moreover, NordVPN provides assistance to users with its 24*7 live chat support.
Over the years, the Windscribe Chrome extension has gained a huge customer base because it comes with a lot of premium features that are available free of cost. Along with helping users to enter the restricted sites and hiding the IP, its extension goes an extra mile and blocks all the ads and trackers to provide a seamless experience. It has a user-friendly interface and offers straight 10GB of free data every month and also allows users to perform torrenting after getting completely anonymous.
- Windscribe makes the use of OpenVPN, IKEv2, TCP, UDP, and SOCKS5 protocols
- It has a large global network for users to have more options to select a virtual location
- Offers static IP addresses along with the kill switch feature
- Utilizes the split tunneling feature and keeps complete transparency with the users
- Implements strong data encryption to keep data secure.
Its server is spread in around 63 countries and 110 cities globally and offers zero DNS leaks and data logs.
4. Hola VPN
Hola VPN is undoubtedly very popular in the world of VPNs because it has recently crossed the mark of 200 million downloads globally. It comes in both free and paid versions. It offers tons of benefits in the free version and has a lot more features to offer in the premium version. Also, it comes with a straightforward installation process along with an extremely user-friendly interface.
Users are provided with high browsing speed and identity protection to keep them anonymous while surfing the web. In addition, Hola VPN does not spam their users with any sort of interrupting ads and offers a simultaneous and smooth browsing experience.
- Comes with an extremely straightforward and easy installation process
- Hola VPN is tailored with split-tunneling technology
- Users are enabled to access the blocked content over the internet irrespective of any country
- Its free plan is extremely robust and comes with several useful features.
However, it is observed that Hola VPN lacks the technology for avoiding DNS and WebRTC leaks and the company also keeps the logs of users who use the free version.
5. Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access or PIA provides the best value for money. It comes at affordable rates and offers various amazing features in its Chrome extension. PIA is an ideal option for individuals who are new to VPN technology. Also, it safeguards its users with high-end security measures that block third-party cookies as well.
Furthermore, PIA is tailored with flash blocking or disabling, WebRTC leak protection, hyperlink auditing, etc., and also hides the location of users along with blocking the use of the camera or microphone. The downloading speed offered by PIA is more than enough and has a no-logging policy.
- It has a ‘no-logs policy and allows users to have 10 simultaneous connections
- PIA offers unlimited bandwidth
- It comes with a user-friendly interface
- PIA has 35,550+ servers located in 77 countries worldwide
- Offers various crucial features such as kill switch, Ipv6 leak protection, ad blocker, and P2P support
In conclusion, it can be said that Private Internet Access is an extremely useful Chrome VPN extension that offers various features at rock-bottom prices.
6. Hotspot Shield
Hotspot shield’s VPN Chrome extension has around 650+ million downloads all over the world and has secured the #1 position for being the world’s best VPN in terms of speed and security. It has its own encryption protocol known as Catapult Hydra protocol that ensures users browse the web at fast speeds. It encrypts nearly every personal information and hides the IP address and location of users while accessing websites.
- Embedded with a WebRTC blocker for hiding the IP address for the websites
- Allows users to access all the restricted over the internet and encrypts all the internet activities for advanced security with the help of AES-256 Encryption
- Has a large number of servers available in around 82 countries
- Comes with a feature to block all advertisers and unauthorized trackers
- Offers a robust Malware protection
CyberGhost emphasizes eliminating the online surveillance performed by hackers or third parties that steals the data and browser history of the users. Offering more security and privacy, users are allowed to bypass digital censorship with the help of around 6300+ fast and secure servers globally. They have one of the widest range of VPN servers in the world and allow 7 simultaneous connections to the users at an instance.
- It comes with a ‘no-logs’ policy and claims to never save the user’s data
- Allows users to enjoy the high-end encryption of personal data
- Enables users to enjoy public Wi-Fi without the fear of exposing their personal information
- Comes with the kill switch feature
- Utilizes the 256-bit AES technology for data encryption
- It has around 6900 servers in more than 90 countries globally
- Empowers users to do torrenting anonymously
It is a true value-for-money VPN Chrome extension that allows users to enjoy many advanced VPN features at reasonable prices. In addition, it offers a 45 days money-back guarantee to ensure complete customer satisfaction
Zenmate is a full-fledged VPN Chrome extension that fits well with tight budgets. Its free version also comes with a series of amazing features. It has a unique and pre-configured feature known as SmartPrice that allows users to shop online smartly with the help of product reviews and various price comparisons. With the help of WebRTC blocking, encryption, and a NATFirewall, it successfully provides enhanced security against hackers.
- Employs a 100% no logs policy
- It has nearly 3,000 servers working actively in around 79 countries all around the globe
- Offers a unique stealth connection feature
Moreover, it has an “AlwaysOn” feature through which VPN protection will get activated automatically every time the user gets connected to the internet. Its budget-friendly pricing plans and unmatchable speed makes it a must-have Chrome extension.
It is a community-supported VPN Chrome extension that is not available for free unlike many other VPN services mentioned in the blog. However, it comes with a 30 days free trial that gives users access to all of its features. Since it is based on a firm Proton Technologies AG situated in Switzerland, it follows some of the world’s most strong privacy and security laws.
- Utilizes IKEv2/IPSec and OpenVPN protocols along with DNS leak prevention
- Secure core servers. Route your traffic through privacy-friendly countries to mitigate sophisticated attacks.
- Since it stores no logs, users are left with no traces behind for tracking by hackers
- Secured infrastructure with end-to-end data encryption
- Comes with the kill switch to prevent data from leaking even in the case of an emergency
ProtonVPN offers unlimited data and high-speed connections to its users. In addition, it comes with IP/DNS/WebRTC leaks protection and forwards secrecy features to prevent user’s crucial information from getting exposed to third parties.
It is a free VPN Chrome extension that has 2500+ servers located at several different locations around the globe. It helps users to achieve an unrestricted secure browsing experience from anywhere in the world and also provides users next-level anonymity by hiding their IP addresses. In addition, VeePN allows users to toggle between different locations easily.
- Comes with foolproof DNS leak protection and uses IKEv2 protocols
- Secures users’ data with strong 256-bit encryption
- Offers unlimited bandwidth
- Embedded with Kill switch functionality to safeguard user data
This user-friendly VPN Chrome extension has a strong no-logs policy to never leave a chance for data tracking in the future. It also offers public Wi-Fi security to prevent the user’s data from getting exposed to third parties, and therefore, it offers a completely safe and secure browsing experience.
For surfing the internet anonymously with better safety and privacy, you should use VPNs. They come with various features to help you make the most out of the internet without exposing your data. Having a Chrome extension for these VPNs helps in accessing their services quickly and encrypting all the data in real-time for high-end security.
The blog contains some of the highly robust VPN Chrome extensions available in the market that you can choose from offers.
People are also reading: