While making changes to the WordPress site, things might go wrong, and the site can break. This is when a staging site comes in handy.
A staging site is just a duplicate of your live WordPress site where you can experiment and make changes. It is simple to install a WordPress staging plugin.
Which WP Staging Service to Choose?
There are numerous staging services to select from, and trying them all out before deciding on the best one takes time. With so many staging plugins available for WordPress, picking which one to use might be difficult. Following are some pointers to help you select the best WordPress staging plugin for your site.
- Simple to install and use: Choose a plugin that is easy to install and use.
- Blocking emails: It’s all too usual for your staging site to send an email to your clients by accident, even though the setups are correct and in place. This is an important and useful tool if you want to test the experience of sending emails from your website but don’t want any sample emails to be sent.
- Availability of the merging option: You don’t want to be stuck with no way to combine your staging and live sites, forcing you to duplicate your modifications on your production site. Even worse, if the merging option fails, you’ll have to perform the work yourself. Therefore, always check for this feature.
- Capable of handling large and complicated websites: A good solution should manage large and complex websites, whether they contain hundreds of pages or are part of a multi-site network. It’s simple enough to think about staging small sites, but your choice of staging plugin should be definite on larger sites.
- Protection from unauthorized access: Password protects your staging site and puts it on a secure server. This not only prevents a hack but also protects people from accidentally accessing sensitive information.
- Technical support: It’s quite possible to run across tech issues while building a staging site. As a result, pick a plugin that offers technical help.
Top 10 Best WordPress Staging Plugins
This blog will provide you with a tested variety of staging plugins and narrow the huge list down to ten standouts. We examined the 10 best WordPress staging plugins for functionality, dependability, ease-of-use, and other factors. You’ll know which WordPress staging plugin is right for you after this post.
Blogvault is one of the most trustworthy staging plugins available, with free cloud storage included. BlogVault is a WordPress plugin that allows you to create a staging environment for your site. A staging site is housed on a separate server from your live site, ensuring that the live site is not damaged. The most powerful feature of BlogVault is selective merging, which allows you to choose which changes to combine.
- The plugin is quite simple to set up. You only need to install and activate the plugin before you can start using it.
- It has a built-in option for free staging. You can easily alter the staging site to your liking without affecting the live site’s functionality.
- This plugin will not let your site slow down.
- From a single dashboard, you can manage both the live and staging sites. To administer your staging site, you don’t need to log in to a separate dashboard.
- BlogVault provides support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you face any issues.
- It’s a paid add-on.
- The staged site expires after a certain period; however, it can be extended.
2. WP Time Capsule
WP Time Capsule is a staging and backup plugin designed specifically for small businesses, eCommerce sites, and agencies. It also allows you to connect to a cloud app where the backup data can be stored. WP Time Capsule is capable of managing huge websites with ease. It divides the website into little sections and assembles all of the pieces into a staging site to guarantee that nothing is forgotten.
- Real-time backups of your website are available. With this method, you can restore your site to its previous state.
- With a single click, make changes and updates to staging.
- Before each update, a backup is taken automatically. Furthermore, if an error occurs during the update process, it allows for simple restoration.
- Add an extra degree of security to your database backup by encrypting them.
- Instead of including the whole site’s content, only chosen files and database tables should be added to your live site.
- Only the pro versions have been staged.
- Files and databases for staging are saved in your storage accounts, such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon S3, and so on.
3. WP Stagecoach
It is one of the best staging platforms where the staged site is stored on WP Stagecoach’s server, not on the server where your actual site is hosted. If you prefer to only combine the database and not the files (or vice versa) when pushing your staging site to live, you can include or exclude the files.
- Construct a staging site quickly with just one click.
- The staging site now has SSL support.
- You have the option of importing files, databases, or both.
- You may simply push your staging site to a live site with the help of this plugin.
- While copying the staging site to the live domain, you can integrate the databases without losing your content.
- It’s a paid add-on.
- Multisite isn’t supported.
4. WP Synchro
WP Synchro is a staging and migration plugin for WordPress created by and for WordPress developers. One of the standout characteristics of WP Synchro is that it maintains your staging and production sites in sync. The plugin is also suitable for use in development, staging, and production settings.
- Once you’ve set up the plugin, you can use it several times.
- Databases can be pulled or pushed from one site to another.
- Because no other sites or servers are involved, and all data is encrypted while being transferred, it provides great security.
- You can relocate simply the database tables you want or all of them.
- Before migrating, make a backup of your database.
5. All-in-One WP Migration
Another good option is All-in-One WP Migration. It offers an easy-to-understand UI with checkboxes for excluding content and a drag-and-drop importer. It’s free to use. It is the most cost-effective way to set up a WordPress staging plugin. Your WordPress files, including the database, can be exported with the use of this.
- Most web hosting providers are compatible with the plugin.
- There are no PHP extensions required, and it works with PHP versions 5.2 and up.
- On WordPress versions 3.3 and up, it provides a truly mobile experience.
- If you get into a complex situation, it provides fantastic support. In addition, the premium version comes with premium support.
- It necessitates technical knowledge and is not suitable for beginners.
- To stage huge websites, a pro version subscription is required.
Duplicator is the most popular migration plugin. Because migration plugins aren’t “real” WordPress staging plugins, you’ll have to use one to make a copy of your site and relocate it whenever you wish to test a plugin or feature. Fortunately, Duplicator is simple to operate.
- Because the plugin is multi-threaded, it can handle huge websites and databases.
- Without switching to your web hosting account, you may connect to cPanel and make adjustments to your staging site.
- It sends out email alerts.
- Offers cloud storage via Dropbox and Google Drive, as well as migration and cloning.
- Every consumer receives professional assistance.
- Not the best option for beginners.
- The user interface is difficult to navigate.
- Free updates are only available for a year.
BackupBuddy is a dedicated backup plugin with a push-and-pull option. It also features a staging feature. The feature of pushing and pulling updates from the staging site to the live site is quite impressive. Assume that someone submitted a comment on your live site while you were working on your staging site. You can copy the comment and paste it into your staging site.
- With two clicks, you can push and pull modifications.
- It does not support huge files.
- Setting up a staging area necessitates technical knowledge.
- Merging is a difficult process.
8. WPvivid Backup Plugin
WPvivid Backup Plugin is a backup and migration plugin that also includes creating a staging site. Furthermore, the plugin eliminates any photos from your site that are no longer in use. Another amazing aspect of the plugin is that it speeds up your site’s loading time.
- Quickly and easily create a staging site, then push staging to a live site.
- Make a backup of your WordPress multisite.
- It provides data encryption while moving the site.
- Create a staging area for your WordPress multisite installation.
- You have the option of backing up your entire site (database and files), all files, or only the database.
BoldGrid, like many of the other plugins on our list, is not a staging plugin. It aids in the development and management of WordPress websites. One of the features they provide is staging. BoldGrid is a multi-purpose management plugin that includes staging capabilities. BoldGrid is a complete solution that makes setting up a staging site to test new plugins or themes simple.
- With a few clicks, you can create a fully functional staging site. Without the risk of disrupting your live site, you can test themes, plugins, and other site updates.
- It also allows for selective staging. You have the option of cloning your complete site or just what you choose.
- The site check feature watches your site for a set amount of time and alerts you if any issues are found.
- The plugin has a fantastic support team. If you have any issues, you can easily contact them at any moment for assistance.
- Setting up is difficult and not recommended for beginners.
- Merging takes a long time.
UpdraftClone is a staging plugin for WordPress provided by UpdraftPlus, a popular backup plugin. UpdraftClone makes it simple to set up a staging site. Just copy and paste your WordPress site, and your staging site is complete. Updraft makes it extremely simple to clone your website. It’s essentially a one-button operation. The only drawback is that the clone site (your staging site) dies after 24 hours. You can extend it for a week at a time for as long as you wish by paying a nominal monthly charge.
- The plugin is quite simple to install.
- You can specify the timeline you want the test site to be active.
- It enables you to clone your site and host it on the UpdraftPlus server for your convenience.
- It has a one-click cleanup option.
- Provides security by encrypting data while it is being transferred.
- You will lose the site if you do not extend the expiry date.
WordPress staging environments are extremely useful for both developers and new WordPress users. They provide a secure environment where you can test and update your plugins and themes without worrying about mistakes, allowing you to keep your site’s visitors at peace. At the same time, you deal with any difficulties that arise behind the scenes.
Finally, staging plugins are necessary for testing new updates, themes, plugins, and content without causing your production site to malfunction.
If you’re still undecided about which staging plugin to utilize, we would recommend BlogVault as it is simple to set up and use with its free staging solution, which is suitable for both novices and experienced WordPress developers. Also, it has the capability of merging live works flawlessly too.
People are also reading:
- How to Become a WordPress Developer?
- Common WordPress Errors
- Best WordPress Page Builders
- Best Managed WordPress Hosting
- Wix vs WordPress
- Best WordPress Backup Plugins
- What is WordPress Security?
- Why You Need a CDN for Your WordPress Blog?
- How to Fix Error Establishing a Database Connection in WordPress?
- How to Install XAMPP and WordPress Locally on Windows PC?