Today is all about having an excellent online presence. Every business emphasizes how the business will reflect its brand through a website. Creating an innovative website requires various tools and technologies, and one of them is the web hosting service. If you choose the right web hosting provider, it will benefit your website and business in the long run.
You can find various web hosting providers in the market with different services and plans that are suitable for different business needs. Web hosting providers benefit small businesses and help manage large businesses with extensive data.
There are many types of web hosting services to choose from. A business owner can host their website using shared hosting providers, VPS providers, or cloud providers. Each of them offers various benefits. But choosing the right one for your business may be challenging if you do not understand your business expectations in the long-term.
Opting for any hosting provider may not reveal all of its benefits at the start. Once you have a full-fledged working website and host it, you will know what resources and services are right for running your website.
There are many options of web hosting providers that can be considered. The below article will discuss web hosting, what features come with a paid web host provider, different web hosting types, and deciding which provider to go with.
What is Web Hosting?
Web hosting provides a space for your website to host i.e. to store data and make it accessible to customers. Web hosting ensures that all the files related to your website will be stored securely to make them available for the end-users. A web host provider can host all your data and website either on a cloud or physical server as per your subscribed plan.
Once you subscribe to a web hosting plan, it will let you create a domain name (paid or free) as per the plan that is unique for every website. Any user can access the website using that domain name.
A web host ensures that your website will get enough traffic without any downtime by efficiently managing the resources. It makes sure that your site server will be up and running every time without interruption, allowing you to access the website anytime.
So make a smart choice while you choose your web host provider. It may be costly to select a plan with most of the benefits, but you will not regret spending.
What Comes with a Paid Web Hosting provider?
Buying or renting a web host provider will cost your business for its provided services. Ensure to understand your business expectations and check for different pricing schemes. You should know what services you are actually buying while paying for the subscription. Check these services for the cue:
- Servers – It may not be visible but takes most of your expenditure in hosting a website. These are fast and efficient systems that can boost your website performance and take it to the next level.
If you use the latest servers, you will get the least overhead and website load time. Such servers can handle thousands of incoming requests all at the same time.
- Data Centers – It is obvious to have some space to store our servers, and it will incur a cost to have a physical building. This may be a large building, or you can keep your servers on the cloud as per your business requirement.
You also have to pay for maintaining such a large storage space. Many companies prefer to have the physical space located near to their organization for better speed and high bandwidth.
- Software – Well, today, most of the software is available as open-source. But if you need software that requires payment, do not hesitate as they will surely help you and offer various features for making your website exciting.
Most organizations prefer Linux-based hosting over Windows-based hosting as Windows software comes with a license. So choose the web hosting plan accordingly.
- Support – A web hosting provider offers you continuous and consistent support for handling your day-to-day website issues. Most providers ensure complete support will be available to you 24X7 through live sessions.
Different Types of Web Hosting
For different types of servers, we have various web hosting options. The main types of web hosting are mentioned below:
- Shared hosting
- VPS (Virtual Private Server) hosting
- Dedicated hosting
- Cloud hosting
- Reseller hosting
- WordPress hosting
Let’s detail them one by one:
1. Shared Hosting
It is one of the primary and cost-effective web hostings. This type of hosting is well-suited for small businesses. All the websites hosted on the shared host shares all the resources available on a single server.
It is cost-effective as the resources get split. In such a hosting, all the websites will have access to limited resources as mentioned in their plan. Such hosting comes with challenges like if one of the websites is facing high-traffic, it will automatically degrade another website’s performance. It may save you money but impact your web hosting experience.
Shared hosting is suitable for beginners with less technical knowledge. Companies with a tight budget can adopt this host provider. If you do not have frequent on-site interaction, you can go for shared hosting.
- Cost-effective and suitable for startup businesses.
- Do not worry about having robust technical knowledge.
- Comes with pre-configured server tools and resources.
- Enables you to use a user-friendly control panel.
- An easy setup process and maintenance support.
- Limited resources.
- You cannot fine-tune the website performance.
- Comes with slow loading time and uptime rates.
- The resources and services are not scalable.
2. VPS (Virtual Private Server) Hosting
VPS hosting is just an extension to the shared hosting. You have to share the server and resources with other websites on the same server in VPS hosting. But the difference is, your website will get a separate server partition dedicated to your website. This allows you to use a reserved amount of resources and services.
If you are a medium-sized organization, opting for VPS hosting is the right choice. VPS hosting creates multiple partitions of the same server and allocates them to various websites for delivering better performance.
If you want to customize your server configurations, you will also get root access to VPS hosting plan. This type of hosting will ensure better performance and high uptime rates. Unlike dedicated hosting, the working and resource consumption of other websites will not impact the working of your website.
Though VPS offers you various benefits, it comes with limitations. This plan works better for companies who have outgrown their shared hosting plan resources. If your website has a large workload, then you can consider opting for VPS hosting.
- Your website will have dedicated server space and resources.
- Resource consumption of another website will not impact the performance of your website.
- You will get the server root access.
- Allows you to customize your server configs.
- Expensive than the shared hosting.
- You should have good technical and management knowledge.
- Still have limited control over the resources.
3. Dedicated Hosting
It is the best hosting option available in the market and is commonly adopted by large enterprises. The dedicated hosting offers you a dedicated server to your website without any sharing of resources and services. You will get fast and efficient performance with an excellent uptime rate.
If you have all the resources all to yourself, it must be expensive. But the benefit is you will get to control the server settings, software, resources, everything. It works well for websites that require high security, like those dealing with sensitive financial information.
- Allows you to have full control over your server settings.
- You do not have to share resources with other websites.
- Ensures high system security.
- Provides high load times, increased uptime, and efficient performance.
- It will cost a lot.
- You should have extensive technical knowledge of working efficiently with dedicated hosting.
- If anything goes wrong with the website, you will be entirely responsible.
4. Cloud Hosting
You can consider cloud hosting as a hybrid version of the VPS hosting. With cloud hosting, you will get server clusters where all your files and resources get replicated. If any cloud servers are busy or fail, then the load will automatically shift to another server. There will be no downtime of the website, and it will be accessible to all users in any failure.
Cloud hosting provides high scalability as it can accommodate your changing traffic spikes. You do not have to pay for the resources you do not use, and it saves you additional costs.
- This web hosting ensures high security for your website.
- You can scale the resources as per the changing business needs.
- Less downtime.
- With this hosting, you will not get fixed pricing plans.
- If you are receiving unexpected traffic, it will tend to increase your cost.
- Limited customization options.
5. Reseller Hosting
This type of hosting is not for every business. If you are into selling web hosting services to other websites, you should consider Reseller hosting. In this, you buy the web hosting from a provider and then sell it further to your dedicated clients. In this type of hosting, you will make money by setting your price for your clients.
- You will be able to set uncapped prices for your clients.
- It will provide you recurring income.
- Helps in improving your current services and resources.
- You will require several clients to make your income.
- The client will approach if anything fails.
6. WordPress Hosting
WordPress hosting is a shared hosting specially designed for WordPress site owners. The server is also configured for WordPress, along with pre-installed plugins for particular tasks. This form of web hosting provides an optimized configuration that will load the website much faster and efficiently.
- Cost-effective and suitable for beginners.
- Provides a one-click WordPress installation feature.
- Ensures adequate performance for WordPress sites.
- Comes with a great customer support team.
- Works only for WordPress sites.
Web hosting is essential for hosting your website on various servers. But the question is, which hosting option you should choose that will suit your business requirements the best.
There is no doubt that each web hosting type has its pros and cons that will help you decide which is the best hosting. We have discussed 6 different hosting options that suit various business purposes. Subscribe to the one that fits your business needs the best.
People are also reading: