Google is one of the most popular search engines that people around the world use for accessing the internet. While using the search engine, Google keeps track of your data to create advertising profiles and sell them to different third-party companies. This can put your privacy at stake.
However, the good news is that it is possible for you to gain back control of the private data that Google stores and ensure optimum privacy. Wondering how you can do that? Well, it’s quite simple, you just need to delete the search history on Google. For this, you need to have an idea of how exactly you can delete the search history.
Before getting into the process of deleting the search history of Google, let’s gain some idea about what data Google actually collects.
What kind of Data Google Stores?
Google stores a lot of data related to who you are, what are your different interests, and the different websites you visit. When you are involved in various web and app activities in Google, it collects all data about your browsing activity and searches. While using Google home devices or talking to your smartphone, Google keeps a record of your voice searches. Moreover, it even stores your location history and your whereabouts.
Reasons Why Google Stores Your Data
Now you must be wondering as to why Google keeps a record of your personal data. Well, here is your answer. The main reason behind this is to create a comprehensive advertising profile. Google collects data about your web and app activities in order to keep note of your previous searches and accordingly make appropriate product suggestions. It uses voice data to enhance speech recognition and help in a better understanding of your voice.
While Google stores your search data for all good reasons, there are high chances that this data may go into the hand of hackers. And, if it happens, they can use your data for various manipulative purposes. So, it is important to protect your data by deleting the search history on Google.
Different Ways to Delete Google Search History
Are you wondering how to delete the search history on Google? Well, there are a number of ways to do so. You can easily delete the search history from the web browser, Google account, android app, Google iOS, as well as Google app. Let’s understand each of the methods in detail.
Method 1: Deleting Google Search History from Web Browser on Computer
If you use Google Chrome as your web browser, here are the steps that you need to follow to delete the search history.
- Step 1: Open Google Chrome on a laptop or desktop computer.
- Step 2: On the upright corner, click on the three vertical dots or press the keys Ctrl+H.
- Step 3: A drop-down menu will appear, and you can select the History option.
- Step 4: If you want to clear the entire search history, click on ‘Clear browsing data’ that appears to the left of the screen.
- Step 5: Choose the time range and select ‘All time’ for clearing the whole history.
- Step 6: Click on Clear data.
However, if you want to delete specific search items and not the whole history, then go to the History tab and scroll the search items. Next, click on three vertical dots on the right of the individual item and click on ‘Remove from history’.
If you are using Mozilla Firefox, select the icon that seems to be book sets and choose the appropriate option to clear the search history.
Method 2: Deleting Search History from Google Account
In order to delete your search history from Google account, here are the steps that you need to follow.
- Step 1: Open myaccount.google.com through your mobile browser or web and sign in to the Google account.
- Step 2: Go to the option of ‘Data & Personalization on the left and look for ‘Activity and Timeline’ by scrolling down. Click on ‘My Activity’.
- Step 3: Click on the three vertical dots that appear at the top towards the right and choose ‘Delete activity by’.
- Step 4: When the Delete Activity box appears, click on ‘All Time’.
- Step 5: Select All if you want to delete all categories or choose the specific activities you want to delete and select Next.
- Step 6: Click on Delete and erase your search history easily.
If you want to erase individual items on the search history, go to the ‘My Activity page’. Find the specific items to delete, click on the three vertical dots, and then select the delete option.
Method 3: Deleting Search History from Web Browser using Android Device
If you are using the web browser on your Android device, here are the steps to delete the Google search history.
- Step 1: Open the app of Google Chrome on Android.
- Step 2: Click on the three vertical dots that appears at the upper-right corner and select History.
- Step 3: For deleting the whole search history, click on ‘Clear browsing data’.
- Step 4: Click on the option ‘Time range’ and choose All time.
- Step 5: Click on ‘Clear data’ that appears at the lower-right corner.
Method 4: Deleting Search History from Web Browser using iOS Device
If you are using Google Chrome on your iOS devices such as iPhone and iPad, here are the steps to delete search history.
- Step 1: Open the Chrome app on your iOS device.
- Step 2: Click on the three horizontal dots that appear at the bottom.
- Step 3: Click on the option History.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Clear Browsing Data’ for erasing all search history.
- Step 5: Select the time range and click on ‘All time’.
- Step 6: Checkmark the Browsing History.
- Step 7: Click on ‘Clear Browsing Data’ for clearing all data.
Now that you are aware of all the ways of deleting the search history on Google, make sure to clear it at regular intervals. This can help in enhancing your privacy and securing all your personal data effectively. Another way to secure your data is to start using VPN. Availing the VPN service can help you regularly delete Google archives and conceal your activities. So, follow the necessary steps and take control of what data Google stores and prevent its misuse.
People are also reading: