Every iPhone user – and even non-iPhone user – knows very well that all the iPhones, iPads, and iPods run on the iOS operating system. You have an iPhone 9, iPhone 10, or iPhone12, but might not be aware of the iOS version your device is running on.
To be frank, the need of checking the iOS version never arises unless you want to install an app and it shows you the notification that your iOS is not compatible. Rest assured, it is effortless to check what iOS version you are using on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Continue reading to know-how.
For iPhone and iPads
- Step 1 – Open your device and go to “Settings.”
- Step 2 – Now, tap “General.”
- Step 3 – You will see “About” at the top. Tap it.
- Step 4 – Here, you can see the iOS version running on your device as well as the iOS release software build number. Apart from this, it also shows the network you use, the number of applications, photos, and videos you have on your device, your phone’s storage capacity and how much is available of it, etc.
For iPod, iPod Classic, iPod Nano, or iPod Mini
The process is a little different for iPod, iPod Classic, iPod Nano, and iPod Mini. If you own any of these devices, follow these steps to know the latest version of iOS running on it:
- Step 1 – Press the menu button. You need to do it multiple times to arrive at the main menu.
- Step 2 – Select the Settings, then go to “About.”
- Step 3 – Here, you will see the iOS version running on your device. The process is the same for these devices except that for the 3rd and 4th generation iPod Nano and iPod Classic, you must press the center button twice to arrive at the screen that displays your device’s software version.
How to Check the iOS Version With Your Computer?
Though the above-explained process is the easiest way to check the iOS version running on your devices, if you want to do so with the help of your computer, you can surely do that too. You just need to follow the given steps:
- Step 1 – If you have a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, go to Finder. If you have a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier or Windows PC that has iTunes running on it, open iTunes.
- Step 2 – Connect the device to your computer for which you want to know the iOS details.
- Step 3 – Find your device on the computer.
- Step 4 – You can see the iOS version under the “General” tab or “Summary” tab.
This is it. It’s simple, no? Some of you may not agree to it because it sometimes happens that the computer does not recognize your device. What to do in this case? Don’t worry, that’s what we are going to explain next.
If Your iOS Device is Not Recognized By Your Computer?
It is not a general problem, but in case it happens to you, you can use these simple troubleshooting techniques:
- When you connect your iOS device, make sure it is unlocked and you’re on the Home screen.
- Whether you are using Mac or Windows, make sure it is updated. If you are using iTunes, it should also be updated.
- Both the devices must be turned on.
- Sometimes, you may receive an alert saying, “Trust this Computer.” If yes, then tap “Trust” on your iOS device.
- Connect only the iOS device with your computer. Unplug all other USB devices.
- You may try restarting your device and computer. If it still does not recognize your device, you may contact Apple Support.
These are some general troubleshooting tips. Now, let’s talk about what to do if your Mac device doesn’t recognize the iOS device you’re connecting.
If Your Mac Does Not recognize the iOS Device?
If you are using a Mac, then follow the following steps:
- Step 1 – First of all, open your iPad, iPhone, or iOS, go to the Home screen and then connect it to your computer.
- Step 2 – Hold the Option key on your Mac, go to the “Apple” menu, and then choose “System Information.”
- Step 3 – You will see a list on the left. Click on USB.
- Step 4 – You will see your iOS device under the USB tree. If you don’t find it here, you may contact Apple Support.
This is it for Mac, but if you are using iTunes on a Windows PC, things are a bit different, as explained below.
If Your iOS Device is Not Recognized By a Windows PC
Now, you must go some time back and remember if you downloaded iTunes from the Microsoft Store or you got it from Apple. Because if your Windows PC does not recognize your iOS device, you need to reinstall the Apple Mobile Device USB driver, and the steps are different in both cases. Both of which are covered here.
Follow these steps if you downloaded iTunes from the Microsoft Store:
- Step 1 – Disconnect your device from the computer.
- Step 2 – Then reconnect the device to the computer after unlocking the device. Close iTunes in case it opens automatically.
- Step 3 – Go to the start button, right-click it and find Device Manager.
- Step 4 – You will see “Portable Devices” in the list. Expand it and look for your device.
- Step 5 – Click on your device name and choose “Update Driver.”
- Step 6 – Click “Search automatically for Updated Driver Software.”
- Step 7 – The software will install on your PC. Now go to “Settings,” click on “Update and Security,” then go to “Windows Update,” and ensure that no other updates are available.
- Step 8 – Now open iTunes and check your iOS in the manner stated above.
Follow the steps given below if you have downloaded iTunes from Apple:
- Step 1 – Disconnect your device from the PC and then reconnect it after unlocking it. Make sure that you are on the Home screen. Close iTunes if it opens automatically.
- Step 2 – Open the Run command by pressing the Windows and R keys simultaneously on the keyboard.
- Step 3 – Now enter the following and then click ok:
- %ProgramFiles%/Common Files/Apple/Mobile Device Support/Drivers
- Step 4 – Right-click the “usbaapl64.inf” or “usbaapl.inf” and click install.
- Step 5 – Once installed, disconnect your device and restart your computer.
- Step 6 – Reconnect after the PC restarts, open iTunes and check your iOS version.
These are all the exclusive ways in which you can find your device on your PC. If you still do not see your device on your computer. You can try the following after going to the Device Manager:
- Try connecting your device with another USB cable.
- Try connecting your device to a different computer.
- If you see an error in your apple device, restart the Apple Mobile Device Service.
- Try to install the “usbaapl.inf” file once again.
- Contact Apple Support.
Normally, most users don’t care about the iOS version they are using, but it is essential to update the operating system regularly as the updates contain several features, security tools, security fixes, and better app compatibility. This article has covered every possible way in which you can ascertain your iOS version and update it.
People are also reading: