VPN or better known as virtual private networks is a category of network software that enables users to send or share their data over public networks. The feature is such that one feels that the users are connected to a private network.
This makes it very difficult for hackers to get access to your personal information and helps users to maintain the utmost privacy online. A VPN also encrypts the web traffic and hides the IP addresses from different Internet Service Providers.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Torrenting
While choosing a VPN for torrenting, your search criteria must include the following points:
- Speed: While torrenting, we expect the files to be downloaded fast. Therefore, choose a VPN that is excellent in torrenting speed without slowing down your Internet connection speed.
- Privacy and Security: Torrenting is the peer-to-peer sharing of files with others. In Torrenting your real IP address can be seen by other seeders or leechers from the list of seeders. Therefore, look for a VPN that not only masks your true identity but also adds an additional level of security.
- P2P-compatible server network: A P2P connection can be less secure for your privacy but it is the fastest way for sharing files or torrents. Therefore, look for VPNs with dedicated P2P servers for better speed and security.
- Additional features: Look for additional features like split tunneling, port forwarding, or independently audited apps. They are not mandatory while torrenting but can be a nice addition to a complete VPN service. It would be even better if the VPN can unblock geo-blocked streaming sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC, Disney+, etc.
- Price: The last important feature to look for is the price-to-quality ratio. The VPNs for torrenting that we have shortlisted here offer very reasonable prices in addition to standard money-back guarantees. Some of them even come with free trials.
Not all VPNs will allow torrenting. Hence, you must know about the VPNs that allow torrenting. There are so many options, and choosing among them is a strenuous task. To make your task easy, the 10 best VPNs for torrenting are listed as follows:
10 Best VPNs for Torrenting
Specializes in securing the privacy of the users – individuals and organizations – while surfing the Internet and thus does not keep track of the activities of the clients.
VPN.Surf offers two kinds of services: Personal VPN and Business VPN. Both come with a seven-day trial offer. The Personal VPN service ensures that the users stay safe regardless of their location.
The Business VPN service, on the other hand, keeps your business protected when your employees are surfing the Internet. Torrenting is available. The VPN services have been provided for both macOS and Windows.
- Unrestricted access to surf the Internet without any restrictions.
- The identity and location of the users are hidden from people who might monitor your activities online.
- Helps to access different streaming sites and social media even while traveling.
- Offers services from more than 15 locations.
- Connectivity issues.
- Works slowly.
- Too many ads/promotions.
NordVPN provides the user with not one but two encryption methods. The use of this double encryption means that the web servers have to pass through multiple servers to hide the main IP address. This advanced security feature provides maximum protection to the users.
The VPN service is developed for all the major operating systems i.e. Linux, Windows, and macOS, but is also available on Android and iOS mobile devices and even for Android TV. Manual setup is also available for wireless routers, NAS devices, and several other platforms.
Recently, NordVPN upgraded its server speed from 1 Gbps to 10 Gbps for delivering faster browsing speed to its users.
- With double encryption, the VPN encrypts the traffic twice. This means that the user’s original ID is protected through several layers of security and privacy.
- Six connections are given with each subscription. This saves a lot of money for the user. To make things even better, it can be connected to the router and all devices connected will be considered as a single device.
- No logging of web activity, IP addresses, downloaded files, or servers. Thus, the company does not keep track of users’ web activities and IP addresses. No record is kept detailing websites visited, files downloaded, or even data transferred.
- Ability to stream content on Netflix.
- No split tunneling.
- The customer service is not up to the mark
- Uses the same IP address for everything.
- Unreliable kill switch in the iOS iteration.
This VPN service is ideal for those individuals who travel a lot. ExpressVPN allows users to watch their favorite shows or films even when moving across borders. It lets you bypass restrictions and censorship that are imposed in different countries.
One of the best things about ExpressVPN is that a single subscription allows you to use it on different devices, like smartphones, tablets, routers, and even on the computer. The live chat and email facilities ensure swift customer support. The 30-day money-back guarantee assures you of quality and safe browsing.
- Split tunneling allows accessing the Internet securely through public or private networks. For instance, one can check their favorite show privately while surfing important news sites via the public network and using ExpressVPN. This helps one to lower their bandwidth when connected to the web and increase their speeds.
- Servers are available in more than 148 countries. Hence, you can travel to any country in the world and you will be able to get their server. This ensures faster Internet speed.
- A kill switch feature is a network lock feature that protects the user when the Internet goes down. It automatically shuts down the websites that the user has been using. This increases privacy and the feature protects the same. This is required during torrenting when needed so that no one will be able to see what is being downloaded.
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- Not cheap.
- Slow speed on macOS devices.
- Lacks customer care service over the phone.
Although available on many platforms, CyberGhost is best-suited for Macbook users. They get the best speeds using this VPN. With CyberGhost, you will be able to unlock different websites and stream content without any limitations. This is also a great VPN service to use when you’re on the go. It ensures that you can stream and bypass geo-restrictions easily.
The CyberGhost VPN ensures that your privacy is protected on all devices. It has a great level of security and anonymity via its no-logs policy. The privacy of the user is protected across different apps and devices. The military-grade AES 256-bit encryption technique ensures you get robust privacy and security.
- Delivers great speeds for Macbooks, and works best on Macbook Air.
- 24-hour free trial and a money-back guarantee of 45 days. Most other VPN services offer a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Superb customer care.
- Not falls under the jurisdiction of any member of FVEY, Nine Eyes, and 14 Eyes.
- One has to select the server and protocol manually each time one uses it.
- No split tunneling.
- Works slow on Windows systems.
- No manual option to turn off the kill switch feature.
- The payment options are limited.
Surfshark VPN ensures that you are protected from online threats like hacking, theft of identity, malware and phishing, ad manipulation, ISP tracking, and discrimination of prices.
The VPN provider falls under the jurisdiction of the British Virgin Islands. In this country, the no-logs policy is strictly followed, which means the same is enforced on Surfshark too.
Surfshark is among the few VPNs that conducted an independent security audit and found no security issues. Hence, users can use this VPN to protect their online activities efficiently.
- Pocket-friendly pricing. This is one of the most affordable VPNs as you can get the Internet protection and great privacy starting at just $2.49 per month. This price is also for their two-year subscription package.
- Have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Offers split tunneling.
- Allows unlimited connections with each subscription. Other VPNs limit the number of subscriptions but Surfshark VPN doesn’t. That means unlimited connections.
- Multiple streaming options. You can watch your favorite shows on HBO, BBC, Netflix, Hulu, and others.
- Slow speeds.
- Uses static IP addresses.
- No browser extension is available for Safari.
- The kill switch needs manual setup on Windows.
6. Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access has the largest network in the world and provides great speeds and robust encryptions. They have been proven as one of the best no-log VPN services globally. It also helps to block trackers, malware, and ads.
Whether a user is browsing or streaming any content, this VPN will provide unrestricted access with high anonymity. With Private Internet Access, you can unlock any content in any geographic location. You can use it on 10 devices at the same time.
- Access to Netflix.
- Allocates dynamic IP addresses. This means that the user gets different IP addresses whenever they are connected to this VPN. It makes it hard to track the web activity of a person using Private Internet Access.
- Works fast on Windows Vivobook.
- Does not track IP addresses or web activity.
- Has multiple VPN gateways.
- Split tunneling is unavailable.
- Works slow on Macbooks.
- Sub-par customer service.
HMA VPN provides servers that operate at fast speeds of 20 Gbps. Hence, the user will be able to surf the Internet at a faster speed than most other VPNs currently available in the market.
The VPN servers of HMA are located in 290 locations, spread across more than 190 countries. This is much more than server locations offered by other VPN providers.
A highlighting feature of this VPN is that it secures public Wi-Fi too. So you can easily do online banking even when you are connected to a public Wi-Fi connection.
- 900 servers available.
- Provides unlimited bandwidth with a high level of encryption.
- Users can easily connect to public hotspots and WiFi without losing privacy.
- A single subscription to HMA services can enable you to protect up to five devices.
- Available for Windows, iOS, Android, Linux, macOS, and other platforms.
- One of the fastest VPNs available in the market.
- One can connect to the fastest server available with just a single click using smart algorithms.
- Smart kill switch available.
- Slow speeds can hamper downloading files via torrenting.
- Supports torrenting on five server locations only, namely Frankfurt, Prague, London, New York, and Amsterdam.
This VPN has a zero-logs policy and hence they do not keep track of your online activities. UltraVPN leverages OpenVPN, which is the most secure protocol, and AES-256, which is the most secure encryption standard. Hence, leakage of data with this VPN is not possible.
UltraVPN can be used to access even those sites that have been restricted by ISP or by the government of a country. Hence, the sites that you otherwise would not have been able to access can be easily accessed with this VPN.
The VPN software also provides web browser extensions that provide the same level of security on all platforms. It has extensions for Firefox, Google Chrome, and Microsoft Edge browsers.
- Customer support service is available 24×7.
- One can stream Netflix, HBO, and Hulu in high definition.
- No trace of browsing history is left behind.
- Bypasses restrictions and censorship on content and gives one unlimited access to music, video, downloads, etc.
- Servers in 55 countries.
- The annual price is half that of NordVPN and ExpressVPN.
- One can access any site at any time and at anywhere. You can get access to geo-restricted sites, bypass censorship, and access great websites even while traveling.
- Collects the original IP address of the user.
- It only offers three simultaneous connections at one time.
9. Hotspot Shield
Hotspot Shield has military-grade encryption and hence your surfing data on the Internet will stay protected and secure. This is very useful as most users are scared of hackers misusing their personal data.
One amazing aspect of Hotspot Shield is that it works silently in the background and does not disrupt your work. It also does not slow down the device that you are using. You can secure up to five devices with a single subscription. Hotspot Shield delivers great value for money.
- 45-day trial period.
- No IP address of the user is leaked.
- One can connect securely to more than 80 countries.
- One can do unlimited and anonymous P2P/torrenting.
- Very fast speeds.
- 24×7 customer care support.
- Real-time malware protection is available.
- Hotspot Shield does not use its own DNS server.
- The speed of web surfing is lower than the average speed of other VPNs.
StrongVPN has no speed limits. They can browse the Internet at a fast speed and without compromising their security.
The customer support services provided by StrongVPN are quick, precise, and awesome. They have experienced professionals extremely efficient at handling client problems. With StrongVPN, you can get up to 12 connections at any time.
- Try it for free for 30 days.
- Unlimited and anonymous P2P/torrenting.
- One can securely connect to more than 35 countries worldwide.
- Offers satisfactory and quick customer service.
- Supports WireGuard protocol.
- Very slow speed on most servers.
- Outdated user interface.
- Price is high when compared to the services provided.
VPNs Not Recommended for Torrenting
There are many VPNs for torrenting that we didn’t include in our list. However, we don’t recommend using these VPNs for torrenting as they come with severe loopholes. They can be both free and paid so you should be cautious. Let’s have a look at the VPNs for torrenting that are not recommended.
Betternet – This is priced steeply but lacks essential security features. So, one can say that it is another poor choice for torrenting. The absence of the kill switch means your anonymity will depend on Betternet’s server fleet always working without issues. Also, their server network is too small to consider this option for consistent good download speeds.
These are 10 of the best VPNs for torrenting that you can choose from as per your individual needs and requirements. Each VPN has its benefits and drawbacks. So list down what you need and what you don’t before choosing one. Also, we have listed some of the VPNs for torrenting that should be avoided to make it clear that not all VPNs are made equal. So, it is highly recommended to always do your research before committing to a long-term VPN service. If you don’t agree with our list, let us know about your favorite VPNs via comments.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Should I always use a VPN for torrenting?
It is highly recommended that you use a VPN for torrenting. A VPN service encrypts the IP address and also prevents your Internet Service Provider from monitoring your Internet activities. If you do not use a VPN during torrenting, the Internet Service Provider will be able to see your online activity.
2. Does VPN affect torrenting speed?
Yes, a VPN can have an impact on your Internet connection speed. However, some VPNs can also increase your torrenting speed if your ISP is using speed throttling to limit you. Otherwise, be mindful that a VPN adds an additional stop in your connection’s bus route, plus, encryption and decryption take time. All this cumulatively might slightly slow down your Internet connection speed. However, the slowdowns with providers like NordVPN and Surfshark are very minimal.
3. Which VPN is the best for torrenting?
NordVPN is ideal for general users. ExpressVPN, on the other hand, is ideal for privacy seekers. It has amazing unblocking features.
4. Can you be caught torrenting with a VPN?
Yes, you can be caught torrenting with a VPN if the kill switch of your VPN is faulty. A faulty kill switch may result in the leak of your IP address.
5. Is torrenting safe with a VPN?
Yes, torrenting with a VPN is safe as it hides your identity and makes it untraceable. This can prevent an attempt by someone to hack into your device also.
6. Can I use a free VPN for torrenting?
A free VPN isn’t recommended by us for torrenting as most of the free VPNs come with strict data limitations – from a relatively generous 500Mb a day to a measly half-GB a month – besides restricting the download speed. Free VPNs are good for general web browsing only.
7. What are DNS leaks?
A DNS leak is a security flaw that occurs when requests are sent to an ISP’s DNS servers even when a VPN is being used to protect users. The prime task of a VPN is to encrypt users’ Internet connection and hide all of their browsing activities from others except for the VPN provider.
In the case of a DNS leak, the user’s DNS requests move outside the encrypted tunnel and become visible to their ISP. As a result, their browsing activities, including IP address, location, and web searches become vulnerable.
People are also reading: