The days are long gone when Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) were only a part of the cyberpunk culture. Today, virtually, everyone is (and should be) utilizing a VPN to secure their information since the traditional firewall and antivirus bundles are no longer successful in doing so.
From the very first second you go on the web, more than a couple of dozen entities start profiling you. Search engines, ISPs, ad agencies, social networks, data dealers, and hackers, all have their reasons to gather your information and exchange it. Hence, using VPNs to secure your information over the internet is as important as locking your back and front door at night.
A top VPN must offer great data protection features, fast connection speed, and an easy interface. If you use a laptop or PC running Windows then there’s no scarcity of VPNs to pick from; but of course, each VPN satisfies a particular set of requirements that you must know before opting for one.
To make your pick for the best VPN for Windows easy, we’ve compiled this list of the best 10 VPNs for Windows. But before diving into that, let’s first understand how a VPN protects you.
VPN Protection 101
As its name suggests, a “virtual” private network is a secure private connection established with another network over the Internet. Through such a network, confidential and private data can be securely exchanged between two networks using techniques like encryption.
When you’re connected to another server using a VPN, anybody sneaking around on the same network won’t be able to know what you’re doing. This is true regardless of whether the eavesdropper governs the network or not.
Another advantage of leveraging a VPN is that your actual IP address is concealed behind the VPN server’s IP address. This makes it difficult for ad agencies and others to follow your actions across the web.
Even a committed observer would struggle to identify whose traffic is whose since your information is combined with every other person’s information utilizing the same VPN server.
Top VPNs for Windows
And now that we’ve laid the premise, let’s proceed to discover the top 10 best VPNs for Windows. Here they are:
VPN.Surf is one of the most popular and well-known VPNs for Windows since it operates with an infrastructure of multiple servers all over the globe and offers incredible privacy.
With ISPs and governments monitoring everyone’s online activities, agencies constantly targeting people with advertisements, and snoopers lurking around to steal data, security is something we all want when we go online. With VPN.Surf’s VPN for Windows, you can secure your sensitive information and browse the Internet while leaving no marks behind.
VPN.Surf utilizes 256-bit AES encryption for securing connections. With the VPN, you can feel at ease with complete secrecy from prying eyes on the web. Also, VPN.Surf doesn’t keep any record of your virtual activities.
- Compatible with Windows 7 and later, Android, macOS, Linux, iOS, routers, and more.
- 30-day money-back warranty.
- Works with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
- Relatively fewer choices for advanced configuration.
- Applications don’t work in a couple of countries.
- A few servers don’t perform well with Hulu or BBC iPlayer.
NordVPN maintains a powerful collection of safety features and a colossal network of web servers. It’s an incredible VPN that has heavily invested in upgrading its safety practices and infrastructure.
With a galore of protocols, including Double VPN, NordLynx, no-logging policy, and ‘Onion over’ privacy, Nord VPN delivers the much-needed peace of mind while surfing the web.
- Unlimited bandwidth and great streaming speeds.
- Easy to use Windows applications with a single click Quick Connect, viable with Windows 10, 8, & 7.
- 5,400 servers in 59 nations.
- Devoted P2P-automated servers for secure torrenting.
- Up to 6 simultaneous connections on one account.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Works with HBO, Netflix, Showtime, Hulu, BBC Amazon Prime Video, Sling TV, iPlayer, and more.
- Compatible with Android, macOS, Android TV, iOS, Chrome, Linux, routers, Firefox, and more.
- At times, Windows or desktop applications take quite longer to connect.
ExpressVPN utilizes trusted-and-tried AES-256 encryption on its web servers to make sure your information is as secure as possible. You can pick between a couple of protocols to customize the VPN’s performance towards ultimate security or supreme speed.
The VPN service comes equipped with a crisp, clean UI for Windows that is very intuitive. This variant, in fact, forms the basis for other versions of the service. Something numerous VPNs miss out on is the capability to transform web servers without disconnecting – however, ExpressVPN can do precisely that.
- Featured-packed Windows application, compatible with all versions of Windows 7.
- Up to 5 simultaneous connections on one account.
- Programmed off button
- A strict no-logs policy.
- Incredible speed.
- As compared to other VPNs, the number of simultaneous connections supported is quite limited.
- Only a few attributes can be tailored.
If you want to invest as little as possible on your laptop or Windows VPN yet still want a high-quality service, go no further than Surfshark. For under $2.50 every month, you can get almost all the features available in VPNs costing twice as much as that of Surfshark VPN!
Surfshark is an amazing VPN for surfing. It unblocks almost every streaming website available, and that comes with the advantage of a fast connection speed, which makes it an exceptionally appealing choice for casual users who only, or mostly, want to surf the web.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections on one account.
- Well-structured application.
- Incredible speed test scores.
- Automatic kill switch available.
- Follows a stern no-log policy.
- Rarely seen split-tunneling devices and multihop.
- Comparatively smaller server network.
- Delivers moderate speeds.
IPVanish is a Phoenix-based VPN supplier providing a zero-log policy, 256-bit AES encryption, unlimited data transmission, and a long list of advantages, including anonymous and limitless torrenting, flawless performance, and fast speed.
IPVanish has web servers in 50+ nations and offers easy streaming from Hulu and BBC iPlayer. You can bypass area limitations, remain anonymous, and hide your traffic from your ISP. It’s very easy to use – and underpins many platforms – while permitting up to 5 concurrent connections per user.
- OpenVPN, SOCKS5 web proxy.
- Avoids deep packet inspection.
- Zero-logging policy.
- Intuitive interface.
- 24*7 assistance.
- Offers a 7-day money-back guarantee. Competitors usually offer the same for 30 days.
The CyberGhost VPN offers you safer P2P torrenting. You can unblock every streaming service with this VPN. It is a standout from other VPNs for Windows, such that it permits you to encode your virtual connection and improve its safety with online privacy. CyberGhost automatically secures you whenever you associate with another web connection.
- Permits access to the NoSpy server.
- Offers unlimited bandwidth.
- Allows you to put your privacy first.
- Secures you against hackers and data miners.
- Encode information utilizing the 256-bit AES encryption technique.
- A bit expensive.
- Restricted access to high safety NoSpy web servers.
If you want high-speed with affordability on Windows 10, then Hotspot Shield is a viable option. By utilizing its exclusive Catapult Hydra convention, the VPN can reach speeds over double what some other VPN can offer.
Hotspot Shield can offer you access to pretty much any streaming feature, anywhere – that involves BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.
- Can access geographically restricted content.
- If the VPN web server isn’t available, it destroys the web connection for safety purposes.
- Offers a feature that permits you to conceal your identity when visiting specific sites.
- There’s no free version available.
TunnelBear is a VPN platform that stands out due to its unique design, along with the free plan that accompanies an option of choosing more than 20 web servers.
Indeed, even as restrained as it is in the monthly information traffic, TunnelBear is the best free VPN platform for those who need a bit of security due to their virtual habits, for example, online shopping and banking.
- Simple to wrap your head around.
- Requires just 500 MB per month.
- Offers limited web server locations.
ProtonVPN is outstanding among other VPN plans, majorly because of its lack of constraint on monthly VPN traffic, which is an uncommon thing for a free VPN to offer. This doesn’t come without its cost, however, as user support and speeds leave much to be desired.
Nonetheless, the privacy provided by ProtonVPN, even in its free version, is incredible, and the strict no-logs policy ensures no fragile data is kept on its web servers. The best part of using the VPN is that you only require an email address to register. You won’t observe any pesky advertisements usually present in other free VPNs, either.
- Incredible privacy features.
- No annoying advertisements.
- Limitless monthly traffic
- Speed could be better.
Windscribe is a powerful free VPN platform that has applications for all the significant platforms, an incredible network of 25 web servers in 11 nations, along with a liberal 10GB monthly cap on its free information traffic.
You will even get updates via mail each time your monthly traffic pack is renewed. To get your hands on this easy-to-use VPN service, you aren’t even required to have an email address. Simply create a password alongside a username and you’re good to go!
- Offers great privacy.
- Has 25 web server locations.
- High monthly transmission capacity.
- Speed is somewhat unpredictable.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question. What are common encoding methodologies used by VPN apps?
Answer: The common encoding methodologies utilized by VPN apps are:
- UDP and TCP.
- 256-bit encryption.
Question: How should I choose the ‘right’ VPN?
Answer: To know if it’s the right VPN, you must consider the below features offered and compare them against your requirements:
- Areas covered
- Security and Privacy
- Device compatibility
- Customer support
A VPN is a simple, yet powerful, a method to secure your privacy on the web. It also lets you evade web restrictions and access your favorite websites and content. The above-mentioned VPN services are all worthy as they offer an exciting bunch of features.
Compare their prices and usability and then pick the one that best suits your Internet browsing needs. Let us know your pick via the comments section below.