When you want to register a domain or hosting, there are many domains and hosting providers available on the internet that provide the best services. However, you can always move your domain to a different hosting provider if you are not satisfied with your existing domain.
Not one or two. There are many reasons as to why you should transfer your domain to another hosting. One such reason may be low renewal cost and an easy to use interface. No matter what the reason is, the domain transfer process is not so complicated. You can transfer your domain and all the site data quickly in just a few simple steps.
In this blog, we will discuss different reasons for transferring your domain name and how to transfer your domain in a few simple steps.
So let’s get started.
Why Transfer Domain to New Hosting?
There are many circumstances in which you might want to transfer your domain to another hosting service. Some of the situations are:
- Your host is charging too much for domain renewals: Every hosting provider’s service varies from platform to platform. You might want to save money and choose a hosting provider that charges less.
- Your new web host offers better features: If your web hosting has an old interface or does not have good customer support, you might want to switch to a hosting provider with advanced services.
- Want to transfer all your domains to a single platform: If you have multiple sites, you might want to transfer them into one web hosting to avoid confusion and save a lot of time. This move promotes security and makes domain management easy.
4 Simple Steps to Transfer your Domain
Now that you know why there is a need to transfer your domain to a new hosting provider, it is the right time to know how to do it.
You need two things:
- An active domain and
- An active web hosting account you want to transfer your domain to (all you need to do is create an account in your new web hosting.)
You can transfer your domain from one host to another in just 4 simple steps. In this section, we have explained the steps to transfer your domain quickly. Once you have created an account in your web hosting account, follow the steps given below.
Step 1: Unlock the domain and request for authorization code
Every web hosting service provider has a feature called “domain lock” that helps to protect your domain from unauthorized attempts to transfer your domain or hack your data. You have an option to disable it manually.
All you need to do is, log in to your existing web host and look for the option to disable your domain lock. You need to note that every website host interface looks different.
You can look for the option “Sharing & Transfer” to disable the lock. Once you have completed disabling the domain lock, you will receive an authorization code to your email account associated with your domain. You need to add this authorization code to your new platform.
Once you have disabled the domain lock and have your authorization code in hand, you can go ahead with initiating the transfer with your new hosting provider.
Step 2: Transfer your website to a new web hosting
For transferring your domain to a new hosting, you need to have an account for the new hosting provider. Once you log in to your new hosting account, look for the option “transfer your domain”. It will be somewhere on the dashboard. Once you have found it, confirm the domain you want to transfer and enter the authorization code you received in your email.
Once you have entered all the information, you are all set to get started. You need to complete the verification process of the domain transfer.
Step 3: Verification of the domain
Once you have initiated the transfer, you will receive a confirmation email about transferring the domain to the new web hosting server. All you need to do is click on the confirmation link you will receive in the email.
It is important to note that you cannot do this again for the next 60 days unless you want to shift to your previous hosting provider once you have transferred the domain.
Step 4: Be Patient. Wait for the process to complete
Many web hosting platforms help transfer domains for free, but you need to pay for an additional year. If you want to transfer your domain, you need to pay for the domain’s renewal prior.
Once you have completed the payment, you need not wait for a long time. It won’t take more than one day for the transfer to be successful. Once your transfer is complete, your new domain will appear in your new web hosting dashboard.
Knowing the Right Time to Change your Web Hosting
Switching among web hosting can be tedious, and most of us might not prefer this and find it unnecessary. But sometimes, you have to do it.
The question that comes to our mind is, why should I change my hosting provider, and when is it the right time to do this? Here are a few problems that might let you know the need to transfer domains:
- The site is constantly going down.
- Low site performance.
- Bad customer service.
- If you need more space, functionality, and other resources.
- The price of the domains is out of your budget.
- Not secure.
A Good Hosting Means Easy Domain Management
Most of us register our domain with one service provider and switch to another after some time. If you are one of them or currently looking for a change, moving your domain name is not tedious and can be done quickly. Here is a recap of the 4 steps to transfer your domain to a new domain hosting:
- Step 1: Unlock your domain and check for the authorization code.
- Step 2: Log in to the new host server and request for domain transfer.
- Step 3: Verification of the domain transfer.
- Step 4: Pay for the renewal of the domain and complete the process.
People are also reading: