Table of Contents
Whether it’s your favorite video you like to watch alone, social networking sites you want to access from your school lab, or a meme page you want to visit from your office cubicle; the “This content is blocked” notification kills your entire mood. Most websites are either geo-blocked or blocked by your ISP, which compels you to ask “How to unblock blocked websites and access restricted content?”
Luckily, there are several ways a blocked website can be accessed, like VPN, proxy servers, and TOR. But, you have to be a tech geek to have knowledge of each of the methods.
NO MORE! With this complete guide, you’ll learn how to unblock a blocked website using a few easy methods, after which you don’t need any further tech skills to access your favorite content.
So, are you ready? Then read on!
Why Do Some Websites Get Blocked?
It is a general problem that some websites are only accessible in a few countries. There are reasons why you couldn’t stream your favorite movie in the hotel room on your last holiday abroad. Not every TV show, movie, software, or game is available in every country.
You may call it blocking, filtering, censoring, etc., when a certain website is geo-blocked, i.e., inaccessible in a certain country or region, you only get filtered results, or the website is completely blocked.
There are certain reasons why governments, schools, offices, and other institutions block content and websites, including:
- Your employer is not paying you to surf social networking sites during working hours. They want you to concentrate on your work by limiting your access to certain sites.
Some employers only allow Internet on desktops and laptops, i.e. no streaming on mobile. Companies also employ certain corporate surveillance software to monitor the browsing activity of their staff.
- This is a demand by the concerned parents who want to prevent their children from accessing any obscene material online. That’s why some content is blocked by Internet Service Providers.
- Have you ever been to China or North Korea? You can only access the websites and content which are permitted by the government. It means most of the websites, especially those that expose the government’s truth or may create outrage among the citizens, are blocked.Most countries block certain content and websites which may create unnecessary disruption in the country. There are other political and economic purposes as well, which require blocking websites and content.
This is not an exclusive list of reasons for blocked content, but these are the major ones.
Different Ways to Unblock Blocked Websites and Content
Where there is a will, there is a way. Internet users also found several ways to access their favorite content without letting anyone know what they are streaming. Some of those ways to unblock websites and access blocked content are given below. Have a look:
1. Use a VPN
The best and easiest way to unblock blocked websites is to use a VPN. A Virtual Private Network is a software or an app that hides your online activities and allows you to access any geo-blocked content from the country of your choice.
There are a number of VPNs like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and CyberGhost to choose from. Be cautious and don’t get fooled by a local VPN.
2. Use an IP Address Instead of a URL
Most often, the URL of the content is blocked by the authorities and not the IP address. If you have its IP address, you can gain access to the same.
There are different ways for operating systems like macOS, Windows, Linux, and Android to get the IP addresses of the blocked URLs. You can get the IP address and type it in place of the URL and voila! Your blocked website will unlock.
3. Use Extensions
Want to check your ex’s Facebook post from the office? Don’t worry. Dynamic websites like Facebook and YouTube can be accessed with the help of extensions in browsers like Chrome. Hola, UltraSurf, and ProxMate are some of the extensions you can use to bypass censorship.
4. Proxy Websites
As the name suggests, proxy websites hide your blocked website from the ISP and let you browse freely. These proxy websites can be used to access sites like Facebook, YouTube, and Gmail from work. But if you are accessing something secretive, a VPN is your best bet.
5. Use Wayback Machine
The Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine stores multiple copies of a website and thus, you can use any of the past versions of a website to access it. A blocked website’s past versions can be accessed through Wayback Machine, and you can enjoy seamless streaming too.
6. Switch the Network
Your employer’s ISP has blocked certain websites and content, but your smartphone network has not posed any restrictions, right? So, you can use your network at the office to gain access to your favorite websites.
7. Google Translate
Google Translate is not a blocked service anywhere, and you can use it to gain access to several blocked websites. You just need to translate the URL of the desired blocked website into the “to be translated” box and translate it into any language. Then just click the link, and you are good to go.
8. The Untraceable TOR
It is the most trusted way after VPN and proxies to access blocked websites. Whether it is your office or school, you can be completely anonymous by using the TOR browser. And if you want an even enhanced security level for your system or phone, you can opt for the combination of TOR and VPN.
9. Change the DNS Server (Warning! It is not easy to do so.)
DNS servers translate an IP address into a human-readable language. It is through the DNS that the ISP traces your activities and blocks the content. If you change the DNS server, you can stream from your desired websites.
10. Rewrite the URL
The authorities block the URL of a website that may be inaccessible but changing its form may help you gain access to the blocked content. You can use Bitly or Google URL shortener to shrink the URL, however, be aware that it seldom works.
So now, there must be several answers to your question “How to unblock blocked websites and access blocked content?” Now let’s discuss the best way of unblocking a blocked website in detail. Scroll down and check the following section.
How to Use a VPN to Unblock Blocked Websites?
First of all, if you are opting for a VPN, choose only the best one (listed below). After you have selected a VPN, it is very simple to connect and access the desired content with the following steps:
- Install the VPN on your computer, laptop, or mobile phone.
- Change the location to the one where your desired content is not blocked/available. A good VPN allows you to choose from numerous locations.
- After you have chosen your desired location, choose a server, and start enjoying your desired content and websites without letting your ISP or the concerned authorities know.
It is simple, right? But you may be wondering how it works. Here is how a VPN works.
How Does a VPN Work?
A VPN is a tool that hides your activity from your ISP because if your ISP cannot read your traffic, it cannot block your traffic. The VPN wraps up your traffic in a hidden safety bubble.
It also encrypts your IP address as well so that you can visit your desired websites without revealing your correct IP address. The encrypted IP address can only be decrypted by your VPN server and no one else.
The authorities can also access your IP address by tracing back the websites you browse. When you use an IP address that is not correct, you cannot be traced back. Thus, you must choose a VPN that is reliable, secure, and safe.
5 Best VPNs You Can Choose From
These are the 5 best VPNs that will never let you down when you wish to access the blocked content securely:
With more than 2000 servers in 94 countries, an average speed of 50 Mbps, a DNS, world-class leak protection, a no-log policy, and a 30-day money-back guarantee, you can access any restricted and blocked website with ease without giving away your details with ExpressVPN.
It allows you to log in anonymously and values your privacy. You can choose ExpressVPN for devices with popular operating systems like macOS, Android, Windows, and Linux.
A VPN is best known for its speed and the large server network it has. With more than 5400 servers and unlimited bandwidth, NordVPN is the first VPN choice for many.
You get IPv6 leak protection, a DNS, 256-bit encryption, up to 6 connections per subscription, a kill switch, port forwarding, and many other features along with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Supported by operating systems like Linux, macOS, Android, iOS, and Windows and with no weak spots to identify, this is a reliable VPN to choose from.
PrivateVPN is best known for its military-grade 2048-bit encryption and lightning speed that can stream even HD videos in seconds. With servers in 60 countries, PrivateVPN allows you to connect 6 devices simultaneously, a kill switch, and IPv6 leak protection.
A step ahead of all its competitors, CyberGhost allows you to run 7 devices simultaneously and guarantees money-back for a 45-day period. Besides, it has approximately 6800 servers, AES 256-bit encryption, IPv6 leak protection, a no-log policy, an automatic kill switch, and every other feature that makes a VPN secure and trustworthy.
5. Surfshark VPN
No matter how many devices you have, you can connect all of them simultaneously with Surfshark. With AES 256-GCM encryption, IPv4 leak protection, kill switch, DNS, no-log policy, camouflage mode, and several other features you can browse and access any blocked or restricted content with Surfshark.
Choose any of the above VPNs to access and unblock blocked websites and restricted content. Beware of the free VPNs. They may fool you.
How to Access Blocked Websites and Content on your Mobile?
You cannot always sit with a laptop. Many times, you want to access some websites in your bed, and the “access denied” notification ruins the mood.
You may have a VPN for your laptop, but what about your phone? Is there a way to access blocked websites and content on your mobile phone? Fortunately, yes, there is. Check out these cool ways to do the same:
- Use a VPN – As it is the best way to access blocked content, it can also be used for phones. Some VPN providers offer 5, or even more, connections in the same subscription so that you can access whatever you want from your phone as well as your laptop.
- Change the IP Address – Changing your phone’s IP address is way simpler than doing it on your laptop or computer. Be it iOS or Android, you can just go to the settings, set it for manual change, and enter the desired IP address.
- Use a Proxy App – As discussed earlier, a proxy is good but not as good as a VPN. It does not give away your IP address and lets you browse without losing peace of mind, but it lacks security and privacy features that most users might want.
- Use TOR – You can also use the TOR browser for your phone and stream your desired content.
Accessing blocked websites and content on iOS and Android is not very difficult with these tricks, right?
Depending on the content you want to unblock, there are several ways to access blocked websites and restricted content. Some of them are very suitable while others are fit for a less secure environment. But all of them are effective, nonetheless.
By choosing a VPN, like NordVPN or ExpressVPN, you will never have to ask again “How to unblock blocked websites and access restricted content?”. You can try other ways as well, but ultimately you will agree that a VPN is best.
People are also reading:
- Best URL Shorteners
- Best Wiki Scripts
- Android Phone Security
- Security of Hosting Servers
- Best Internet Security
- IPv4 vs IPv4
- Default Netgear Password
- How to Delete Google Search History?
- How to Stop DDoS Attacks?
- What is WordPress Security?
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which browser is best to access blocked sites?
The Tor browser is the best free web browser to keep you anonymous on the web. It maintains your privacy by routing your web traffic through a series of proxy servers. Tor is often used by users to unblock websites that are blocked by the country or region they live in.
2. Is there a free VPN?
In terms of customer support, Hide.me is the best free VPN. If you are looking for many server locations, Tunnelbear is the best free VPN. For Android and iOS, Atlas VPN is the best free VPN. Windscribe is the best free VPN if you are looking for fast connection speeds.
3. Can I unblock websites on my phone, too?
Yes, you can unblock websites on your phone too by following the given steps to change settings for a site:
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Chrome app.
- Go to a website.
- To the left of the address bar, tap Lock. Permissions.
- Tap the permission that you want to update. To change a setting, select it. To clear the site’s settings, tap Reset permissions.
4. How do I unblock sites on my laptop?
You can unblock blocked websites on your laptop by using a public web proxy. A public web proxy may not be as fast or secure as a VPN, but it is a good option when you use public PCs that don’t let you install a VPN. Proxies hide your IP address and route your Internet traffic through different public servers.
5. How can I unblock a website on Chrome?
To unblock a website on Chrome, you need to change the settings for all restricted sites by following the given steps:
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More (three dots), and then click on Settings.
- Click on the Privacy and security option, and then click on Site Settings.
- Now, select the setting you want to update.
6. How do I unblock websites on a Chromebook?
To unblock a website on a Chromebook, you need to use Group Policy through the given steps:
- Go to Policies Administrative Templates Google. Google Chrome.
- Enable Block access to a list of URLs.
- Add the URLs that you want to block.
- Enable Allows access to a list of URLs.
- Now, add the URLs that you want to access.